Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Kathy I'm so excited, Nemo the laid back speaks!!!!Teach him to call your name,that would be my choice. I heard of a older lady who taught her parakeet to say her address.LOL The bird got out and was found and returned .Mrs. Tatum was brillant for teaching her bird that..LOL LOL. I'm so proud of little Nemo he is so cute and now He SPEAKS.. congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Skweek has said "Fly Skweek", "Wanna Treat", and "Skweeky". He is WAY more prone to speak and mimic in the late afternoon and when nobody else is around. I freaked the first time!

Lovem'

BT

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Kathy,

Congratulations!!!!:) That's really great!

Personaly, I like Memmey's suggestion - that would be really cool, better than a dog collar - Nemo could tell people where he lives. All of my other thoughts of what you should teach him are too dirty for this forum...;)

Good Luck!

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts

Congratulations Kathy - That’s awesome!! - It’s very cool when you realize they are ACTUALLY paying attention to you and what you are saying! :D

Mr. Peepers will say Hello but not when I want - figures :p and not very frequently - what’s weird is I've only heard him say it on the weekends (maybe by the time I get home from work its too late for him) he usually will say it when he is very excited - like when he is first taken out of his cage - he's pretty robotic sounding but you can still make out what he's saying.

Congrats again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there an average age as to when they will begin talking, if they are going to? My breeder told me it's usually after they are at least a year old. How old is Nemo?

Last week, Oliver was singing/chirping away and all of a sudden he did a "wolf" whistle (my husband does this to him). It was an exact mimic of my husband whistling to him. I'm hoping that this is a slight indication that when he get gets a little older he will talk.

Kathy, to hear Nemo talk must have been soooo much fun. Congratulations!

Paula

P.S. If some of you out there are too young to know what a "wolf" whistle is, ask your parents or grandparents. When I was in high school, I was walking home from school when two boys in a convertible (top down)drove very slowly along side of me and one of them kept whistling at me. Two years later, the whistler and I were married. I know that doesn't have anything to do with Parrotlets, but just thought I would throw it in.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Paula that was a very cool story - and since Oliver has picked up the wolf whistle it implies your husband STILL whistles at you :D

Mine started at 8 months (just with Hello and some other longer saying but I haven't figured it out yet) but as Kathy said it depends on the bird - the average may be after the first year. They are very robotic sounding, not clear like an African Grey.

I know some birds will choose to whistle first as apparently its easier for them to pick up, so if they hear whistling as much or more than repeated words they will go with the whistles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts