Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a huse bag of walnut cage litter. Has anyone used this stuff with parrotlet? I've only used it for parakeets. I'm wondering if it's safe if Fletch where to consume a little bit of it. She like to chew on the pine shavings that are in her cage right now. I could only assume she'd do the same with a new litter. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
I don't think I would use the walnuts unless they were completely under the grate but I could be wring. I don't know how good it would be to chew on them but are they sharp at all? My other concern would be you can't check the color of the dropping as closely. I use white paper towel.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I've used ground walnut on the bottom of my bird cages for years with no problems and it has worked very well; likewise, many of my bird friends, including some parrot breeders, also use it and I've heard of no problems.

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
I've used ground walnut on the bottom of my bird cages for years with no problems and it has worked very well; likewise, many of my bird friends, including some parrot breeders, also use it and I've heard of no problems.
That's good for me to know too!! :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can't speak to the walnut, but I've seen other such things not recommended for long term exposure. Ppl or animals. Possibly overblown, but with newspaper readily available, i think it's just a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would not use that. Use something that you can monitor droppings and change daily.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I agree with Bodie. Being able to monitor droppings is important.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I would use the walnuts unless they were completely under the grate but I could be wring. I don't know how good it would be to chew on them but are they sharp at all? My other concern would be you can't check the color of the dropping as closely. I use white paper towel.
They're completely rounded. It's almost like sand, just not as fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't speak to the walnut, but I've seen other such things not recommended for long term exposure. Ppl or animals. Possibly overblown, but with newspaper readily available, i think it's just a waste of money.
I agree. This is just something I found and thought "Hey! Why not use this!"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would not use that. Use something that you can monitor droppings and change daily.
I think I'd be able to see her droppings just fine. I usually spot clean her cage because there's certain areas where she likes to it the most and poop just collects so quickly at the bottom. Lol!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts