Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the link to the Volkman Parrotlet blend I came across: http://birdseed.com/shop/product/parrotlet/. It seems cheap for the price, but I know nothing about the brand, or even if it is a good seed make-up.

Here are the order of ingredients, most to least: Safflower Seed, White Proso Millet, Buckwheat, Small Crack Corn, Oat Groats, Canary Grass Seed, Brown Paddy Rice, Sunflower Chips, Small Black Oil Sunflower, Peanut Dices, Vitamized Oat Groats, Hemp Seed, Carrot Dices, Kibbled Corn, Cantalope Seed, Dehydrated Grean Peas, Red Bell pepper Dices, Dundicut Peppers, Spinach Flakes and Safflower/Orange Oil (Vitamin C used as a natural preservative).

Would you feed this to your bird?

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
I use it and Baby loved it! It's a very clean seed and the company is a responsible company. Everything listed is good for them and it does not contain sunflower.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input! We currently mix together a few Higgins products, and while it seems nutritious, it is a little more expensive and we have been driving to the breeder who is a couple of hours away to pick up more. It seems like Barley doesn't even like half of what is in it, so I usually end up throwing his uneaten seeds outside for the other wild birds and animals. I am still trying to learn how to identify what is being eaten and what is being wasted. He sure loves those safflower seeds! I'm sure I can order the Higgins from somewhere and have it delivered, so maybe I'll do that once we run out of his current supply. I came across the Volkman this morning, and it sure is cheap!

·
Registered
824 Posts
That's what I get for Conway and he loves it. I give it to him at night.
Mornings he gets mash and or birdie bread.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Wow that is a great price, but then I start wondering how much shipping is.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Wow that is a great price, but then I start wondering how much shipping is.
It's $1.99 a lb through mysafebirdstore.
Shipping on 1 lb would be $8.05 -- orders over $100.00 have free shipping.
We stock up on seed, toys etc. to use the free shipping.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yikes, I put the 4lb. bag in a shopping cart from birdseed.com just to check on the shipping price, and it was $16.75! I can't imagine paying four times as much for shipping as the cost of the food itself!

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
;)
Yikes, I put the 4lb. bag in a shopping cart from birdseed.com just to check on the shipping price, and it was $16.75! I can't imagine paying four times as much for shipping as the cost of the food itself!
Especially when if you compare the ingredients, they are virtually identical to the small hookbill mix you can get for a fourth the price at the local bird store/bird farm.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I love the stuff for my parrotlets. Can you ask your pet shop or local feed store to order it for you? Very good quality.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hannah, Bo and Luke

Hi All,
Haven't posted in a while. Work is crazy, but that's OK. All my
babies are doing great. Hannah is still as fiesty as ever, but she can't get enough skritches.

Bo and Luke are sweet but still young. I tried pairing Hannah and
Bo for awhile, but took him out again. Still think he is to young. (8months)

When they are all out of their cage Bo and Hannah seemed to tolerate
each other and cast aside Luke. But that's Ok with him.

Their main food is the Volkman and they seem to love it. Another
favorite is Nutriberries Classic and Nutriberries Pellets. Each get
breakfast of Strawberries, Brocolli and Carrots, hemp seed a few
sunflower seeds, and flax seed. Once a week a boiled egg.
Afternoon snack is popcorn.

Pics to follow soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
That's what Dude eats and he loves it except the big round white seed thingies...He won't touch those!
Really? The oval white ones? That's the Safflower it's the majority of the mix... Hmm... Have you tried any others? Hate to see you waste so much. They sure are picky. I know quite a few people here like the Higgins Cockatiel mix.

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Tumi won't eat either safflower or sunflower seeds. I find that Higgins Safflower Gold conure/cockatiel has the least waste, and highly recommend it on his behalf! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Tumi won't eat either safflower or sunflower seeds. I find that Higgins Safflower Gold conure/cockatiel has the least waste, and highly recommend it on his behalf! :)
I'm going to try this for my mix when I'm out of my Volkmans too, because it's Tumi approved!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really? The oval white ones? That's the Safflower it's the majority of the mix... Hmm...
He seems to like those, these are kinda big.. I'll take a pic of one tomorrow... I gave him some cabbage tonight in his feeder.. he seemed to like the white cabbage..:D He hid some of the purple cabbage...lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts