Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Haven鈥檛 posted since my original greetings back about 6 months ago, just wanted to share how great life with Dino has been. At almost 8 months old, he has days where he鈥檚 a cuddly ball of fluff, and days where he鈥檚 Tiny Murder Bird 馃槀 I have learned a lot about reading his body language to predict the kind of day we鈥檙e going to have, and avoiding the conflict, (which translates to dealing with the hand that I鈥檓 dealt that day) has proven to me that he and I are truly connected. He鈥檚 so receptive to being guided to a gentler way, and I鈥檓 not sure if he鈥檚 hit full hormonal time (so I may be getting hit with a big, ugly shock yet!) but he鈥檚 been a pleasure always, even when he bends all his thoughts and energy on attacking my toes! I鈥檝e learned a lot about these wonderful little birds, mostly how BIG they really are! Just a few pics to share
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Fines herbes

Gesture Wood Toy Art Sunglasses

Nose Hair Skin Glasses Head

Forehead Nose Skin Smile Lip

Toy Wood Fawn Christmas ornament Doll

Registered
What an incredibly heartwarming post to read first thing in the morning! I am so happy to hear that you two have found your stride - which essentially means you riding his emotional waves! It can be difficult to be in tune with them but you have clearly developed some important skills to help both of you have a quality life together! If anything, these big little birds certainly help us work on our patience but the bond we create with them is worth every ounce of it.

As for those photos - what can I say? They sure show his personality and your love for one another. Beautiful. And brilliant ending with the blurry one of him taking a bite of your finger! I laughed out loud when I saw that! Nicely done!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What an incredibly heartwarming post to read first thing in the morning! I am so happy to hear that you two have found your stride - which essentially means you riding his emotional waves! It can be difficult to be in tune with them but you have clearly developed some important skills to help both of you have a quality life together! If anything, these big little birds certainly help us work on our patience but the bond we create with them is worth every ounce of it.

As for those photos - what can I say? They sure show his personality and your love for one another. Beautiful. And brilliant ending with the blurry one of him taking a bite of your finger! I laughed out loud when I saw that! Nicely done!!
Thank you! Thought it was important to share in the wins as well as the trials that these little loves bring us, it does make for an interesting journey 馃槉

Administrator
Thank you! Thought it was important to share in the wins as well as the trials that these little loves bring us, it does make for an interesting journey 馃槉
Glad to hear it is going well. Love the pics.
Thanks for sharing. I know I have heard people that were scared to get parrotlets because all they saw were the problems. It is good that we share the successes and the joy of the species. They are such outsized, smart characters for their size that most people just can not understand how much there is to them. Or the joy of having one.

Registered
Dino looks like a happy and contented birdie to me. He sure is super cute! My favorite pictures are of him hanging from your glasses and snuggled up against your neck. So funny and so sweet! What you mentioned about Dino being a snuggle bug some days and on some days being a wee monster, closely describes what my bird went through when she was going through the terrible two鈥檚. She seemed to snap in and out of being hormonal every 2-3 days. Cleopatra was also 8 months old when she went through hers. Not sure if this is what Dino is going through, but just thought I would mention it. You seem to be developing a close bond with Dino. That is wonderful. And it is very smart of you to learn his body language. A lot of bites can be avoided from reading their body language. Have you picked up on what any of his whistles and chirps mean yet? Learning those comes in handy too! It sounds to me like the bond you have will Dino is just going to get better and better. It is amazing the deep bond you can have with these little guys when they come to realize that you love them and will never hurt them. On the close-up pic of Dino giving you a bite, what kind of wood is your tree stand made of? It is very cool looking!

Very glad you updated us on how Dino is doing and thanks for the pictures! I really enjoyed looking at them! We hope you and Dino keep in touch! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dino looks like a happy and contented birdie to me. He sure is super cute! My favorite pictures are of him hanging from your glasses and snuggled up against your neck. So funny and so sweet! What you mentioned about Dino being a snuggle bug some days and on some days being a wee monster, closely describes what my bird went through when she was going through the terrible two鈥檚. She seemed to snap in and out of being hormonal every 2-3 days. Cleopatra was also 8 months old when she went through hers. Not sure if this is what Dino is going through, but just thought I would mention it. You seem to be developing a close bond with Dino. That is wonderful. And it is very smart of you to learn his body language. A lot of bites can be avoided from reading their body language. Have you picked up on what any of his whistles and chirps mean yet? Learning those comes in handy too! It sounds to me like the bond you have will Dino is just going to get better and better. It is amazing the deep bond you can have with these little guys when they come to realize that you love them and will never hurt them. On the close-up pic of Dino giving you a bite, what kind of wood is your tree stand made of? It is very cool looking!

Very glad you updated us on how Dino is doing and thanks for the pictures! I really enjoyed looking at them! We hope you and Dino keep in touch! :)
Thanks for your kind words! To answer your questions, yes, I am certainly learning his bird language! Dino has a 鈥渨here you at mom?鈥 Chirp, a grumpy noise when I scritch him wrong or impede him on his path of destruction and I definitely know when I鈥檓 being told off for putting him in his cage before he鈥檚 ready 馃槀 Besides his bird language, he is quite the proficient talker, everything from Pretty Bird, Pretty Baby Dino, to Tickle Tickle, Kissy Kissy,Poopy Poopy and so many other words! He鈥檚 very smart 馃挆
And as for the play perch, it was a great find on Etsy, it鈥檚 grape wood, and cost $68 ! I think I have a better pic of it that I鈥檒l post 馃榿
Wood Twig Public space Art Tree
Wood Twig Public space Art Tree

Registered
I am really impressed that you are learning Dino's language! It sounds like you are learning "Parrotletnese" really well! ;) They love it when you answer them back! Dino has learned a lot of words for being so young! That is great! Poopy Poopy cracked me up. Oh, they are such little smarties! I will not be surprised if he picks up a lot more!

Wow! I cannot believe you only paid $68 for the tree stand! That is grrreat! I have seen some tree stands going for $500 which is outrageous when you think it is just made of branches someone cut off a tree! Thanks for the close ups of it 鈥 I love it! So it is grape wood - it is neat looking. Kind of looks like it came from another planet! lol ! I liked how you added toys for Dino to play with. He sure looks like he is enjoying it! You are doing a great job with him. You are not just a happy bird mama 鈥 you are really good bird mama! By the way, I found your tree stand on Etsy. I am going to order one in the near future! Thanks! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts