Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I know it has been awhile and I hope you and your fids are all healthy and happy. I just had to post this momentous event - Kiwi turned 18 years old on April 1st! She is still doing really well although she sleeps a lot now and, as I probably mentioned in the past, she doesn’t fly anymore. She does, however, love to sleep in my hair. She is quite agile still - she climbs up my arm and tucks herself in my hair at the back of my neck. I have attached a photo of her from her hatchday - it isn’t a very good one because she was being highly uncooperative - oh wait! She was just being a parrotlet!! Anyway, I thought it would be a good news story for you all. There is light out there even if you have to look a bit harder for it sometimes.

Jackie and Kiwi

PS. We did sadly lose our doggie Paris in December last year. She was 16.5 years old. We miss her terribly.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: Anya

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I am wishing you a happy 18th hatch day Kiwi and I am taking the liberty to crown you Queen of this forum! 👑You deserve it little green birdie! Seriously, I think it is wonderful that you have had Kiwi as long as you have. You two must have a lot of memories together. She is adorable. I love her. Reading about Kiwi really pulled at my heart strings. Loved your other comments on the other posts too. Hope you will continue to come back here on the forum more often.

You have helped to give Kiwi a long and happy life. Do you have any tips on what has contributed to her still being healthy and active at 18 years old? Eighteen years with a parrotlet gives you a lot of experience!

Sorry to hear your dog Paris passed. Dogs are very special too! It is wonderful that he lived a long life. You obviously take good care of your animals!! :)

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am wishing you a happy 18th hatch day Kiwi and I am taking the liberty to crown you Queen of this forum! 👑You deserve it little green birdie! Seriously, I think it is wonderful that you have had Kiwi as long as you have. You two must have a lot of memories together. She is adorable. I love her. Reading about Kiwi really pulled at my heart strings. Loved your other comments on the other posts too. Hope you will continue to come back here on the forum more often.

You have helped to give Kiwi a long and happy life. Do you have any tips on what has contributed to her still being healthy and active at 18 years old? Eighteen years with a parrotlet gives you a lot of experience!

Sorry to hear your dog Paris passed. Dogs are very special too! It is wonderful that he lived a long life. You obviously take good care of your animals!! :)
Thank you Anya for such kind words. Kiwi is snuggled on my shoulder as I write this and I think she would say it is cuddles and lunchtime arrowroot cookies that contributed to her longevity. Interestingly, she is a green Pacific parrotlet and I believe the two other long-lived parrotlets I know (Bodie and Timmy) were also green Pacifics. It is likely in large part genetics but I think it is also good quality sleep. As you have likely read, parrotlets benefit enormously from good sleep. Kiwi used to sleep 11-12 hours a night in a spare bedroom, covered and with the door closed so it is quiet. She now sleeps 13 hours per night. She goes to bed at 7 pm (and believe me, she kicks up a fuss if you’re not on it!!) and I get her up at 8 am. Routine is very good for them too. She does nap during the day and as she has aged, she now also takes a mid-morning nap after breakfast until lunch.

I should mention that I feed her Harrison’s pellets and I believe that nutrition really helps her. I make the Harrison’s birdie bread too but I make it as mini muffins and she gets a small piece in the morning for breakfast along with her regular food and typically anything I am eating that day (fruit, veggies, oatmeal, meat or fish, potatoes or rice, arrowroot cookies … you get the idea).

She did have a scary gastric yeast infection a number of years ago but thankfully I have a very experienced avian vet who reacted quickly and she fully recovered. Other than that, she’s just been a solid little bird.

This forum helped me a TON and I am convinced it helped me to be a better parront to her. I joined when she was probably 7 or 8 and I wished I had found it earlier when she was going through her hormonal stages and biting the heck out of me. We survived that period but with a lot of tears and doubts on my part. After reading about how to manage this phase, I realized I did literally everything wrong including thinking she hated me, blaming myself and being really angry with her. I came to realize that she is a wild creature and despite my best human interaction intentions, I had not understood her needs as a wild bird dependent on me for her survival but also as a member of her flock. I was able to do things like eat beside her and share my meal after I read this forum and we bonded even more deeply. She soon would fall sound asleep in my cupped hand and to this day that is her favourite place to be.

They really are lovely little creatures and if you can be patient through their hormonal periods, the rewards are extraordinary. As I pet her sleeping head in my hand, I am reminded just how grateful I am to have been part of her life.

·
Super Moderator
6,723 Posts
Wow
I think she might have just broken the record for the forum. Last I saw was 17 years. Maybe it was her LOL
Happy Hatchday Kiwi!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! Bodie was 17 and I am pretty sure Timmy (Barb’s parrotlet) was close to 17. We have some pretty senior fids on this forum!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This forum helped me a TON and I am convinced it helped me to be a better parront to her. I joined when she was probably 7 or 8 and I wished I had found it earlier when she was going through her hormonal stages and biting the heck out of me. We survived that period but with a lot of tears and doubts on my part. After reading about how to manage this phase, I realized I did literally everything wrong including thinking she hated me, blaming myself and being really angry with her. I came to realize that she is a wild creature and despite my best human interaction intentions, I had not understood her needs as a wild bird dependent on me for her survival but also as a member of her flock. I was able to do things like eat beside her and share my meal after I read this forum and we bonded even more deeply. She soon would fall sound asleep in my cupped hand and to this day that is her favourite place to be.

They really are lovely little creatures and if you can be patient through their hormonal periods, the rewards are extraordinary. As I pet her sleeping head in my hand, I am reminded just how grateful I am to have been part of her life.
Oh, I know! They don't call it The Terrible Two's for nothing! lol I can completely relate to what you said. I had a few emotional breakdowns when Cleopatra went through hers. The biting and aggression can be awful - it gets to you. I must have said, "Be nice" to her a hundred times! But at one point, I finally realized that she had absolutely no control over what was happening to her. It was not her fault she was acting the way she was. Hormonal periods are not an easy time for us as bird owners, but it must be a lot worse for our birds. Just imagine how horrible it must be for them during it all.

I have learned that parrotlets even under normal times will test you. And how we react when they are testing us tells them if we are to be trusted or not. Because while we are trying to figure them out, they are also figuring us out! lol I know because Cleopatra outsmarted me quite a few times! It was kind of scary how much she knew me. How I miss her. You are right, Jackie. They are incredible little creatures. I am a goner when it comes to these little fluff balls - I completely adore them, too. The nice thing about this forum is that the love we all have for them makes us kindred spirits. :)

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So true and insightful! What they are going through during this hormonal periods and during molts must be so hard on them. I have heard of birds actually bleeding during their molts. Poor things - so hard on them. Kinda makes it easier to tolerate the bites. Kinda. 😂

Cleopatra sounds like a wonderful girlie. What a great name! I am sure you miss her very much. They sure get into your heart.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Hi Jackie and Kiwi! Kiwi still looks like a gorgeous little girl. 18. Wow!! She obviously gets the best care.
Timmy was 13.5 when he passed. No matter how long they are with us, it is never enough.
So sorry to hear about Paris.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone!

I know it has been awhile and I hope you and your fids are all healthy and happy. I just had to post this momentous event - Kiwi turned 18 years old on April 1st! She is still doing really well although she sleeps a lot now and, as I probably mentioned in the past, she doesn’t fly anymore. She does, however, love to sleep in my hair. She is quite agile still - she climbs up my arm and tucks herself in my hair at the back of my neck. I have attached a photo of her from her hatchday - it isn’t a very good one because she was being highly uncooperative - oh wait! She was just being a parrotlet!! Anyway, I thought it would be a good news story for you all. There is light out there even if you have to look a bit harder for it sometimes.

Jackie and Kiwi

PS. We did sadly lose our doggie Paris in December last year. She was 16.5 years old. We miss her terribly.
Happy 18th B-Day Miss Kiwi ! WoW 18 Years , Thats Wonderful .
Bullet Turned 12 Years Old This Month And Is Doing Really Good .
Take Care .. Mitch & Bullet

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well Happy Birthday Bullet! 12 years old and going strong! Good for you! Wishing you many many more!

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Hello~~~

I have been ill, so I have not been able to do much. But!!!! Happy Hatchday to KIWI ! She is now tied with Bodie's age. Bodie was 18 years old and 2 weeks when he passed. Bodie has a Dedication page in the book I wrote about Bogie.

As of this writing, in my opinion Kiwi has the distinct honor of living the longest in our family forum. It is an amazing feat!

David and Vicki, in the spirit of Bogie and Ricochet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts