Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Ive been trying to start our training everyday with "step ups" so that he remembers whos boss. However, ever since he discovered the warm place under my hair on my neck I can never get him to do anything! He immediately jumps on my shoulder and launches himself into my hair! I know he must feel comfortable in there and thats ok, however I would like to continue training.

I would think he would get bored in there but he just sits there and coos and plays with my hair for hours! Should I be worried? Will he get over this and come out to play? He doesnt even want to let me pull him out of my hair, he ignores the step up command!

Sorry I tend to write too much for a simple question :rolleyes: .

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Totally normal - they all seem to love this.

Tie your hair up while training and reward him by letting your hair down so he can play when you're done. Also remember - be firm - it is important that your bird clearly understands that you are the boss, not the other way around.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper loves to get in my hair. They love it! Usually, she sits on my shoulder. She doesn't stay in my hair that long.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to hear it :) Cloud has actually been getting more and more brave the more time he gets out of his cage. So I figure hell get over it eventually. Cute pic!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Addendum/Response to ArtS "...tie your hair up while training.":

It might work for you Amy, but in my case, Wednesday would dig in just below the rubber band, then burrow through until her head popped through the other side - with her little feet protruding below. Yes, it looked as hilarious as it sounds. I might have a picture somewhere.

Basically, once she became more confident, she ditched the hair routine. However, whenever she is intimidated or frightened by something, she quickly retreats to the hair-safety zone. Cold days are tempting too.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I sway a little from being the boss with the parrotlets, sometimes yes, but mostly I try to stay one step ahead of them planning what I want them to do but finding a way to make them think they chose to do it! Parrotlets REALLY like to be in charge and this works really well for us.

Example. I want my parrotlets to step up, but I know they don't want me to "make" them do it. I hold my hand an inch to three inches away from them and ask them to come, they fuss and carry on in that parrotlet fashion :) and hop or fly right to my hand b/c they chose to do so and they like this. If I can read that they did not want to step up, they would have bitten me. But we avoid that all together. We got to this point via clicker training and it has been epsecially wonderful and useful with these buggers!

So, in closing I try to make them THINK they are boss, when in actuality I have planned it all out :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
It truly is a challenge staying one step ahead of these little guys - although I agree that one has to establish "who is the boss" to a certain degree - I have found much more success when they think that an action that you want them to do is THEIR idea. For example with Wendell if I am trying to get him to eat a new food, I will open his cage door, sit nearby and "eat" the new food. He will inevitably watch for a bit while I taste it and I repeat "that's good". Within 2 or 3 min he will lean out the door of his cage and ask "is that good"? - and I'll say "that's good" and he will usually go for it. I had a difficult time getting Wendell to sit on my shoulder as he much preferred sitting under my chin and picking at my 5 o'clock shadow - truly amazing how he can grab one little beard hair and yank it out.....I won out bribing him to stay on my shoulder with safflour and sunflower seeds....
Stephen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts