Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - I came across this site the other day and have since been enjoying myself reading some of the posts.
Dave your site is awesome and very user friendly - which is a huge bonus :cool:
I have a Green Male Pacific Parrotlet for about three months now and I've gone completely Parrotlet bonkers ever since -
I can't get enough of him - he has completely captured my heart and is just an absolute character.
We had a vote when naming him so he ended up with the name - Mr. Rupert Peepers -
We couldn't decide on Rupert or Mr. Peepers because of his adorable peeps so he got both.
Anyhow, I just wanted to say "Hi" and I will post some pics of Mr. Peepers once my partner downloads them.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Pado,

Welcome aboard to both you and Mr. Rupert Peepers - love the name. Is the short form Rupee?

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Art - Haven't used Rupee for short as yet :)

I have a question for you - seeing as you keep two P'lets -

Besides the bit of plucking to each other ( I read in some post while reading that one plucks the other a bit ?!? ), do you have any other problems with keeping your two together ?

Did you get them together or did you introduce one at a later date?
By the sounds of it they are both still very tame and will interact with you and your wife ... even though they are bonded to each other.

I have thought about getting another and feel I would need to do so while mine is still young - he's under a year still - but from what I've read its hit and miss with them getting along - I purchased a large cage and would hate to have to house them separate if I went ahead and got another.

... any serious fights between your two?

Hope you don't mind all the questions !

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Pado,

Proceed with caution.

The reason I joined this forum originally is that I was considering getting a third bird. I was talked out of it.

My two are clutchmates so you can say they have been together since the beginning. We were talked into two when we didn't know what we were doing.

If you get two birds, make sure you keep them in separate cages until they have grown used to each other. Our cage has a divider that we can slide into the cage to cut it in half if we need to split them up - we haven't needed to yet. In fact I recently made a new divider out of plexiglass because their new favorite game. The game involves standing on opposite sides of the cage (one inside one outside) in a head to tail position trying to bite each others toes! They've gotten good at it - they will play excitedly for 2 - 3 minutes then kiss for a minute then resume.

They get along well 98% of the time but there have been issues usually just they get a little too enthusiastic in the games they invent but over our 8 years of ownership, they have drawn blood several times (usually toe bites - when one scores a point in their game, it's done with a sharp beak).

We think the plucking is hormone related (breeding pairs often pluck each other).

Regards,

Art S.

PS. We love both our birds very much.

·
Registered
794 Posts
hey pado welcome to our group.I not always in the business of being someones cheerleader but Art has had his birds for a long time and his info is from experience. It's not just you ,it is everyone when they get one little bird and it doesn't seem like too much work then they get baby fever for another .If you want your bird bonded to you then have 1 if you don't mind being the voyeur to their relationship have 2 because they will bond to each other. Mr. R. Peepers can be the best little friend you could ever have. Good luck and congrats...Mem

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Memmey,

Thank you for the complement. We've made it this far by trial and error. I think having a group like this to share and record experiences, suggestions and ideas benefits all of us. Especially since parrotlets are a relatively new pet.

I think two birds is a little more complex than what you suggest, at least in my case. My birds will hang out with me for several hours, if I have the time, either individually or together. These little creatures have HUGE and very willful personallities. In the wild, they can choose who they spend time with, as pets, they are forced on each other. Therefore, they may bond strongly to each other and ignore you; they may bond weakly to each other and include you; or they may hate each other and you will have serious problems.

I still think about the really cute little girl that I wanted to add - definately one of the sweetest birds I've ever seen and she's been stuck at the shop for at least 6 months.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate your advice.

"Proceed with caution" - that's what I needed to hear - that pulled me right back to the caution side of the fence.
I think I'll put the two bird notion on the back burner for now -

Art - seeing your birds pics and reading your stories - I'm thinking, look how cute they are together and they get along - and how cute
they are flying around the house together in mad spurts - but hearing they are Clutch-mates, I can see where that bond comes from.

Memmey - I think you are spot on - I have the new bird syndrome and feeling if I got another he'll have company all the time.

I think if I add another one in the future I need to be in a different mindset.

I'm reading some of the other posts of the Parrotlets not wanting to come out of their cages - I have the opposite problem - Mr. Peepers
wants to be out and with someone all the time - so we're working on cage time and then out of the cage time -
He's getting the hang of it and will actually play in the cage alone now.

I don't want to create a problem bird that isn't content in their cage - Been there - done that - I had a Senegal that passed away and she pitched a fit if anyone was home and she was in her cage - I gave in to her and the habit was born - I don't want to repeat that mistake again.
I think the root to my wanting to add a second bird probably has something to do with this :-O ... But I see it could possibly create a different problem.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My birds get 'out of cage time' when my wife and i are getting ready for work in the morning. This morning my wife left early and closed the cage while they were eating. a short time later I began hearing the insistant chirping of dissatisfaction. I took a look and there were two parrotlets looking at me next to the door saying 'what's this - why the early close? this is inappropriate.' I opened the cage and they immidiately bolted to do their next set of laps. after their laps, the boy ended up hanging out with me until I left for work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts