Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the p'let owners club two weeks ago today when I brought home "Bug". Bug is an 11 week old Pacific Parrotlet and he is green.
I spent some time looking through this forum to help me make the decision for the big jump into parrotlet ownership. The members here seem quite friendly and willing to help out all of us p'let newbies. Thank-you!
The information I gathered here helped me decide that a hand raised, hand tamed baby that knew his "step-ups' from an experienced breeder was the best way to go, and negated the additional cost of the bird. Sometimes you do get what you pay for!
After 2 weeks, Bug has settled in quite nicely and is a very sweet and affectionate clown. He is quite calm (for a Parrotlet) and he has started to come to me when he's called (re-call?) We are having a little difficulty getting him to eat his veggies however as he seems to prefer oat groats and candy (millet). Is there any sure-fire health food that no Parrotlet can resist?
I look forward to being part of this forum, and thanks again for being here.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Congratulations Jon - Bug sounds just great and I love his name.

Sounds like you really did your homework so by the sounds of it you're off to a great start.

They say Millet is what all P'lets LOVE but mine isn't overly fond of it - of course he eats it but sometimes he just doesn't touch it and I've had to throw it out.
I've tried the light and the dark kind but he doesn't really care too much for either.

I'm a pretty new Parrotlet owner also but I've found if you keep offering different foods and act like you are interested in eating or touching it - they eventually try it and even end up liking it. The key is just never give up trying.

My guys favorite food is cooked or raw [mainly cooked] plain Quaker oatmeal - he goes ape for it - so you just never know what they will end up liking - his favorite treat is a piece of unsalted peanut and he'll go mad for peanut butter also.

At first he wasn't crazy about fruit but now he will rip through apple slices [mostly shred it] but he does eat some while doing that - the same goes for Banana, hated it at first but now will rip it apart and eat some while he does.

When you have Bug out and with you try holding some veggies and act like its yours - I guarantee eventually he'll want it. The easiest to start with is Broccoli.

Thats awesome you have Bug doing the re-call already - I started early also - I think it possibly could be a lifesaving skill.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm sure in no time you will be wondering how you got along without your little Bug. Welcome to the P'let family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jon and Bug
I am Cory, Mom to ZuZu and Pete. we are in Sunny Victoria BC.
Pete came to me at 3 yrs old and didn't apparently like soft food. Now he dives into it at feeding times, Almost attacking us as we put it in his cage. LOL ZuZu came to us a little older than Bug, but has been given a full variety of almost everything we eat.
Never feel discouraged about them not eating something. Next week they may just LOVE it!! LOL Like they say bout our weather !! "Wait 5 mins and it will change!" LOL
Have a great day
Cory

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like has been said before, keep offering it. It often takes bird a bit to know and recognize that something is food actually. Bug'll learn in no time at all.

Unfortunately, there's no given food that's healthy that all birds are guaranteed to like. Sucks I know, would make life SO much easier! LOL

Try eating with Bug whenever you can. Birds love to eat with their "flock" which is you now. Bug will get interested in what your eating, and learn to know that it is yummy and the rest of the flock eats it, so why shouldn't he?

Make sure that while Bug is still young you are introducing him to lots of new things all the time. This will prevent Bug from getting nervous about new thigns later in life. Switch toys in and out often (from the cage), give new foods everyday if you can. Take hiim around the house with you and show him all the rooms and everything in them. Have showers with Bug and spend as much time as possible with him!

Congrats on the new addition!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Jon,

When was Seatle it was sunny for my entire stay!

Welcome aboard - great picture!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Welcome! I get Bitsy to eat lots of nutrious things by baking them into homemade birdie bread. If you are interested, pm me and I'll send you a recipe. Good luck! jan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts