Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were "babysitting" Patter, my mother-in-law's parrotlet, while she had surgery. Quite unexpectedly she did not survive. All we knew was to give Patter fresh water everyday and give her seed mix. It was supposed to be a 5 day stay...I didn't know what kind of bird she was, I didn't even know she was supposed to get out of the cage, until my greiving 9 year old said,"what will happen to Patters, she can't stay in her cage the rest of her life." I found out she was a parrotlet and did a web search. After going to many pages, I found you. I have read numerous posts and have learned so much in the past two hours. What a wealth of information. A visiting relative did show us how to get her out of the cage. She will step onto your finger, sit on your finger or lap. We found a ? playground at Grandma's appartment and she hopped around on that. She has tons of toys in her cage. She does bite. We have not heard her talk. I had no idea a bird could be so intelligent ! I imagine she is missing her mom and after being kept in her cage for nearly two weeks.....she is probably all confused. Tonight after reading some posts, I talked to her and tried to play a game, where I called her name and then would turn my head upside down, saying oops. And she played with me, imitating me by turning her head upside down and looking at me. I think we need a good book...though I sure have learned alot here. Thanks! I feel like we had a baby dropped at our doorstep!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Oh my I could cry. Let me tell you you they are like having a little child. Very smart and they bond to their owners. You had no idea what it ate? You don't really know if it's male or female? Let me start by telling this and we have all said it a million times...your gonna get bit, it's not the end of the world. Try as best as you can not to suddenly withdraw your hand. You are gonna have to build trust cause the little thing has had it's world turned upside down. They're bite is not so horrible. I get bit dailey, if you handle them you will. It's the only way they have to tell you if your too rough or they're scared. It may be fully flighted and you need to secure the room so it doesn't get injured if it gets spooked. Here 's my best advice...Think of the worst case scenario and think what you would do and you'll be on the right track sounds crazy ...it works. This will be the best little friend you ever had and a great remembrance of your mother-in-law. Keep posting everyone will start to answer. Nice to meet you and I hope we can help. If we don't know we will find it out.

·
Registered
536 Posts
So sorry for the way you came to be parrotlet parents, but you have certainly started on quite an adventure. P'lets are extremely smart, funny, playful. They love to swing on their toys and EAT. They need to eat veggies, whole wheat bread, and some seeds too. They have their own little way of telling you what they want. Sounds like you are making a good start. Hang around here and ask questions...you will learn what you need to know. And enjoy your baby.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi Mimi,

Welcome, I am sorry for your loss.

I'm glad you've begun doing your homework, we'll do our best to help. if you have a digital camera, please take a picture of Patter and share it with us, we may be able to give you additional info. If you don't have a camera, scan through the site and tell us which picture looks most like patter (let us the thread name and post number the picture is in if you go this route.)

It's also important to try to figure out roughly how old Patter is. If Patter is an older bird, it will effect some of the guidance we give you.

Hopefully your mother-in-law's memory will remain strong with the presense of the little feathered creature with a big personality that has been put in your care.

Warm Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...I know Patter has had her wings clipped, I am 99% sure she is a female. She is all green except for a faint blue color on the back of her head. I'll try to get a picture. I have given her bread, lettuce, apple and raw carrot. She loved the bread and apple, chewed on the carrot and threw away the lettuce. She lived alone with my mother-in-law and there are 4 in our family. Do you think that is overwelming to her? Does she need vitamins? She throws seeds everywhere. I think she was throwing them at my back, while I was working near her cage. This was before I knew she should/could be out of the cage. I will try to find out how old she is. Thanks for the replies. Mimi

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mimi,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Patter will do fine with your family. I'm sure she misses her mommy, but give her some time and she will feel right at home with you.

Sometimes they can be quite picky about their food. I do recommend pellets over seeds. It just healthier for them. ZuPreem (http://www.zupreem.com/) and Harrison (http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/) are both great products. With these pellets you won't need a vitimins supplement for her, but the still need fresh fruits and vegetables. Also, you should be able to find her a treat that she will LOVE you for. This might help the bonding process also. ;)

It's always nice to find an Avian Vet and they can help and guide you also. It's nice to at least know which vets treats birds in your area just in case you need it.

I agree with Arts..... take pictures if you can. We all love to look at pictures!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RamOna,

I was happy to read your response today because earlier I went to the pet store and bought Zupreem pellets. A man at the store said to mix 1/2 with seeds to start. She hasn't thrown any out. He suggested a ? calcium stick..I thought she had one, but when I got home I saw it was a sanded perch. She keeps ringing her bell like crazy. I sometimes feel like she is trying to tell me something and I am not getting it. My husband says she is just playing, but she looks frustrated. Might just be my imagination, but her eyes look so knowing...I almost feel like I should ask her yes or no questions.....We still play a version of peek- a -boo and my youngest daughter is trying to teach her a basketball cheer...I 'll let you all know when she gets it! MIMI

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Mimi,

Playing is a good sign - many parrotlets seem to like bells. Don't worry if she throws things out of her food cup - parrots are messy eaters. Keep trying to take her out of the cage (be persistent but not forceful). As long as your family is accepts her and interacts with her she will become a part of your family.

Good luck,

Art S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts