Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl got loose yesterday. We searched the neighborhood for hours and no luck. I put out a plea on the neighborhood FB group. Neighbors continued the search on their daily walks. I knew if she wasn’t found soon, she would not have much chance for survival. Around 4:00, out mayor’s wife who lives in our neighborhood called and said she was found at a local Chinese restaurant!!! God bless the lady there who saw her and just opened her hand and Gracie flew right to her!
Anyway, she‘s been home now about 3 hours. She has eaten twice, drank several times and has taken a few cat naps on my chest. But she’s very fluffed up, which I recall reading was something they did when they were sick, and her poop is almost black. I’m going to take her to the avian vet tomorrow for a check up. I guess I just want to know if you guys think I should try to take her before we go to bed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hopefully the check up is okay and the poops are just from the stress. To me, that seems likely to be what the problem is. So glad you got Gracie back with you.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I am glad to hear that you got her back and that you plan to take her to an avian vet for a checkup! Black poops can be a sign of bleeding in the GI tract, but it potentially may be from her not eating after she got loose. To see if it contains blood, you can put a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide on the poop and if it bubbles, it is blood.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
I am so relieved that she is back! Chinese restaurant? How far was this from your home? Give that lady a huge ' Thank You " from all of us! I would get her to a vet as soon as possible. It is not an emergency, but it is better to be safe, than sorry. You will get proper medical advisement from a vet, no doubt!

After a hurricane hit my state, I remember that Bogie's poo do turned black-ish and the vet said it was most likely from stress. Thank God Gracie is back! You and Gracie are very fortunate.

Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am so relieved that she is back! Chinese restaurant? How far was this from your home? Give that lady a huge ' Thank You " from all of us! I would get her to a vet as soon as possible. It is not an emergency, but it is better to be safe, than sorry. You will get proper medical advisement from a vet, no doubt!

After a hurricane hit my state, I remember that Bogie's poo do turned black-ish and the vet said it was most likely from stress. Thank God Gracie is back! You and Gracie are very fortunate.

Dave
I think it’s about 5 miles to the restaurant. It was very windy here yesterday, so I wonder if that is why she got so far. I am indeed fortunate I got her back. I didn’t realize how much I loved her until I was trying to come to terms with losing her. Thank you for the advice on stress. Another member suggested stress might be responsible - I didn’t realize that could do that. That ‘s why this forum is so great.

pat

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am glad to hear that you got her back and that you plan to take her to an avian vet for a checkup! Black poops can be a sign of bleeding in the GI tract, but it potentially may be from her not eating after she got loose. To see if it contains blood, you can put a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide on the poop and if it bubbles, it is blood.
That’s great advice. Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
4,459 Posts
Give lots of millet. It is like chicken soup for the soul of a distressed parrotlet. As for poop colors. Could be many things but most likely just something she ate and should clear in time.

Reactions: Anya

·
Registered
770 Posts
Gracie must have been awfully tired and hungry to trust a stranger for help. Thank goodness she did! I am so glad that this ended well and you found your little girl! How relieved you must feel and how happy she must be being back home and safe. Ozzie gave good advice about the millet. Another option is chamomile tea to help calm them. Well done getting her back! :) Let us know how the vet visit goes!

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Oh my goodness what a terrible scare! So incredibly thankful for this happy ending!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts