Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you havent seen this book, I recently bought it from super pet and I thought it was great. Read it from cover to cover. It helped me figure out the best way to tame/train kiwi.. deal with the biting, the fear etc. and after just a few weeks, she is doing TONS better (have only had her for a month). here is the reference:

Parrot Training. A guide to taming and gentling your avian companion. By: Bonnie Munro Doane. 2001. Wiley Publishing, Inc., New York, NY.

I think its aimed towards the larger parrots, but since Kiwi was acting like she was an amazon (LOL), I figured it would be a good place to start.

Cheers,
Jen

·
Registered
14 Posts
the parrotlet handbook is amazing but my training tip is dont let her get his or hers way dont react like saying ow when she bits just disaplin

·
Registered
69 Posts
Getting a book soon

I can't remember what it's called, but it will be in on the 14th and I'll let you know. It got five stars as a rating on amazon, so we'll see. Actually I ordered three, just to cover my bases, but only one is about parrotlets in particular, the others deal with parrot behavior issues and try to reference alot of different breeds, but I'll definately get back to you when I get them. Best of luck till then!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I just got the Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot, and I like it. It's also geared more toward large parrots, but as many have pointed out, parrotlets are just tiny versions of Amazons (their close cousins). My p'let may be tiny, but she definitely has the attitude of a big bird! I often think that she gets away with a lot because she's so little - her nips and loud chirps would be nasty bites and screams from a big bird. I'm looking forward to learning new ways to train Saturday so that she will be a happier bird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts