Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just wanted to announce that Gonzo is starting to talk. He learned how to say "I'm a dirty bird." It's very funny, once he starts saying it he just keeps repeating it again and again. It's easier to make out at times but I knew right away what he was trying to say. Does anyone know if their speech gets clearer the longer they are talking.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Isn't it just too cute when they talk?? Paulie repeats, repeats, repeats too!
I guess they are just practicing

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I love it! I had a feeling he was going to be a decent talker, he's been "mumbling" since he was about 6 months old (he;s 9 months now)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thats great - how exciting ! I don't know if they get clearer speech as the go - you should be able to tell us pretty soon :D - Congratulations again.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Now that Gonzo is a dirty bird, you need to give him a foul mouth! :D :p . At least he needs to learn how to do cat calls...;)

Congratulations!

Art S.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congratulation

Congratulation ; must me fun ; How old is your parrotlet? Mine is 3 months old
I dont know if he will talk ; I kept on saying "Hello" to him everyday hoping he will said back " Hello " :p; How long does it take for you parrotlet to talk? Do I need to do something special beside keep on saying the same word everyday?

Please give some tips :D

Thanks

Parrolet Lover

·
Registered
794 Posts
I think they say that they will probably begin to learn best at 5-8 months old??
Oscar is learning and he actually started at about 5 months old.

He can say pretty bird and wolf whistle.

I think that just repeating it and talking to him very often will get him to say it.

But it depends on the personality of the bird, so he might not even talk at all.

Also they like the way certain words sound. If he is not interested in the way "hello" sounds, then he won't take interest and won't pay attention to you when you are saying hello, repeatedly.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
my guys make little kissy sounds now,
when I have them perched on my finger they kinda
bump their beaks like they are feeding each other
and make this clicking/kissing sound it's adorable

since they are under 4 months this is a good sign im hoping
that they have an interest in communicating somewhat

·
Registered
536 Posts
Males are the main talkers. I don't think anyone here has a talking female. They begin at about 4 to 5 months to mumble and it gets very plain....you just have to listen. If you have ever had a talking bird you will recognize it and be able to understand their words. It is plain but not very loud...(usually but Paulie does scream now and then!)

·
Registered
536 Posts
CONGRATS GONZO

Does anyone know how likely it is for a girl to talk?
Don't really know the odds, but I have had budgies and it was the same for them. All the males talked but just one or two of the males. Haven't heard anyone on here with a talking female. Several of the males are talking

·
Registered
794 Posts
Most people (including me) say that they have slim to no chances of talking.

But, it has been stated by many trainers that a male or female CAN both learn to talk - with the proper training.

I personally don't think the females are apt to talk unless heavily trained/practiced with. Or, if you come across a natural born "talker" :D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
794 Posts
How do you mean train, talking to her alot. What is the training on talking
It's basically just much interaction and training sessions which would consist of gaining the bird's full attention in a quiet room, and talking to the bird for about 10 minutes straight, 3 or 4 times a day.

I think it might be possible to use clicker training for talking after (if) the bird starts to try and talk. :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts