Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Going through shedding/molting issues

702 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lindav 
#1 ·
Olive is 9 years old, and looks healthy, but raggedy. I give him conditioning/molting food in addition to greens and apple and banana. Daily he has part of my breakfast of scrambled egg and seeded bagel, but still looks terrible. I just hope he "cleans up his act."
He hasn't taken a bath lately either. Otherwise, he seems to be feisty and cuddles at night. His poops look mostly good, sometimes runny.
He closet talks and calls for me (nags) to give him attention. I do the best I can. He tolerates a smaller cage in another room in the house for a little while, then he calls me again. Change his toys out? He gets suspicious of new things. Thanks for any advice.

#3 ·
I was so confused for a second, I was thinking... Who is olive? Hahaha! Have you tried that feather glow stuff? Is that what it's called? I'm trying to remember, I got some for Lilly you know that stuff that supposed to make their feathers come in quicker. Some people say it makes their bird itchy though. I'm sure Oliver is as beautiful as ever even in his old age. Lilly is still a scruffy butt so anyone looks good to me lol

#4 ·
My bird just went through a molt last month and the best thing i found was to let him sit with me when I'm having a shower and the hot steamy environment helped soften his feathers and he found it easier to preen the pin feathers. It also helped that he got wet from going under the shower head a few times aswell. Maybe try that with Oliver?

#5 ·
I doubt Oliver would like to go under a shower head----he is 9 and never did it before. He will take a bath when he feels its necessary.
He does go on a perch outside the shower---he seems to like the warmth.

thanks for your suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.