Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like to know when going on vacation who is the right person that should I take care off my parrotlet?

last time i brought my parrotlet to a pet sitter she has 2 big parrots when I came back a week later my parrotlet was sick i took her to the vet but he could not saved her ; she died from :(a mega bacteria which could come from stress & other birds ...; the cause is still unknown..

I am very sad and upset :( about that; 3 months later i got a new one but i dont want to bring her back to the same pet sitter ...

Please advice

Thanks

·
Registered
486 Posts
Is there a possibility that she could go along with you or that someone could live at your house with her?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Look into a good bird sitter. Are there any bird clubs in your area? Can you call an avian vet for references? Don't take a bird back to the place that was bad last time for sure.

Call some vets and look into good petsitters. Start early and have them over and train them.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
so sorry to hear about the loss of your little one upon return from your vacation. I went on vacation a few weeks after getting my Parrotlet and I was fortunate in that the breeder lives about 10 minutes away and boarded her while I went on vacation. That way, I knew she received wonderful care and I could enjoy my vacation. My only other suggestion would be if you have a trusted neighbor who could care for your little one and also commit to bringing the bird out a couple times daily even if it's only for 15 minutes each time just to have time outside of the cage. You would need to spend time training the person on what to feed the Parrotlet and leaving very detailed instructions along with your avian vet's phone # just in case. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just to give you an idea of how others do it. We offer boarding and in-home care. Boarding requires proof of full avian vet check. We do this either in our shop or home, according to the birds individual needs - and of course all of our birds are vetted - thus the requirements :)

In home care works well for those with lots of birds or that, for what ever reason, don't have their birds properly vetted.

Aside from these things - most parrotlets travel really really well! You can acclimate them to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Lily. Sorry to hear about the lost of your previous parrotlet. If it contracted Mega bacteria from your previous pet sitter, then definitely don't board your new parrotlet with her again. I don't have any experience with bird sitters myself since I always board Boji at my parent's place when I go on vacations. Regardless of how familiar they are with Boji, I always always write up a detailed instructions on how to take care of him and how to clean his cage, as well as a list of things that are poisonous to Boji. I stick warning signs up everywhere in the kitchen since that's where he's at most of the time with messages like "No Teflon Pans", "Put away all sponges", "Watch out for Boji", "Put Boji in cage when cooking"... etc as reminders. Luckily my parents don't mind me doing that since they adore the little guy. I hope you can find a good place to board your parrotlet. Do keep us updated. :)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Welcome Lili - Thats very sad your story about your first Parrotlet. I definitely wouldn't use the same pet sitter.

Family and trusted friends are always the best bet for pet sitters. If that isn't an option and you can't take your P'let with you an in home pet sitter would be your best choice.

Although I've only used Family and Friends. We have a very good bird store in my area that has a boarding facility attached to their shop but even with that I fear leaving my birds in the same space with so many other birds for the very reason you mentioned. Even with them requiring an up-to-date vet certificate - Birds can become sick with the stress of just being boarded and when I visited the boarding shop the noise from all the birds was deafening. I couldn't leave my birds there they aren't use to that. I don't think people who are around a lot of the larger birds all the time really hear it. That alone I believe would stress my birds out :)

Hopefully you have some time to find a sitter before your next vacation. But the advice given about checking for references with the Vets in your area and Bird Clubs in your area is right on. Also you could check the internet for local breeders who might give you a referral. Good Luck !

·
Registered
835 Posts
Plus customers can walk in carrying feather dander and disease and spread it to an entire healthy flock :(

The nice thing about using our shop currently (if we do, but haven't in a long time) is that I have a seperate space for the birds and the birds in our adoption program do not live there - so it is just about always birdless :)

Best of luck in finding a good decision

1 - 10 of 10 Posts