Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

We haven't seen my grandma for 2 years because of the coronavirus. She lives far away from where we live (20 hours of car ride). We decided to visit her and we usually stay about 20-30 days. We will go by plane so I will not able to take my birdie with me. My dad will stay in the house and take care of Pastel. Pastel is closest with me but also very close to my dad too. I will prepare veggie loaded birdie bread and leave them in the freezer.

But my main concern is that if he will forget me during that time :( By the time I will go away we will be together for 3 months. But we are very close right now. I worry that he will forget me or get depressed because I am away. Have you done something like that before? What happened of do you have any suggestions for what can I do to make him the most comfortable he can be and not to forget me :( I am very stressed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
He will not forget you. The worst case is he may need reminding of his training, but if your Dad is there and still working with him it will be fine.

I took a long trip about 2 months after getting Monty, and he stayed with my parents. We were no worse for wear :) Just remind your Dad of Pastel's routine and ensure that your Dad lets him out for out of cage time and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
You can make a video of you talking to Pastel and your dad can play it when you are gone.

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
I don't think he will forget you but he may bond a little stro.ger to your dad. You can just spend extra time with him when you get back a month is not too Terribly long

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
He won't forget you, but I would expect him to bond more with your dad. I am glad to hear that you can now visit your grandma, and also that you have such a good situation that you can leave Pastel in.

My cockatiel that I had before hadn't seen my dad for about 5 years when he came to visit us, and she immediately recognized him and asked him for the special scritches that only he would give her. Parrots are smart and know their people.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Your birdie will remember you! It might be a good idea if you write down a list of things for your father to abide by. Tell him the Do's and Do nots of the things about your birdie. You can call your bird from wherever you are and let your Dad let your bird hear your voice. This may help your bird to remember you. I was away from my Bogie for 3 days and during those days, I called my wife and she let Bogie hear my voice. He went nuts and looked behind the phone.

Have a safe trip!!!!

David and Vicki

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are all great suggestions! Thank you all so much, I was so stressed but now I am relieved. My main concern was him being sad and also forgeting me. But these are all gone now thank to you! I will leave my dad a very looong list of do's and donts :) I don't mind him bonding with my dad as long as he is happy I will be happy too! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts