Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Got a young Parrolette a couple of months ago. The previous owners only use gloves around him and I was wondering how I would get him past that. He seems to be scared of my hand and only interacts with a glove.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! First of all, congratulations on getting your first Parrotlet and thank you for taking him in. They are truly mini parrots and their care is more involved than many people realize. What is the little guy’s name?

It would be helpful to have a few more details on what he is used to and what your interactions have been like. When you say his former owners used gloves, was that just when they put their hands inside his cage or was that for every interaction? For example, did they handle him with gloves or did they avoid handling him? If they handled him with gloves, would he step onto their gloved hands voluntarily or would they pick him up? Are you handling him with gloves at all? How is he responding to you? Is he only fearful of your hands when you don’t have gloves on? Also, how old is he and how long was he with his former owners? Was he their sole bird or were there others? Is he your only bird?

Sorry - I know that is a long list of questions but it is just to assess his deal and help you gain his trust. Thanks for reaching out to us!

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Yup, that one is a big one. I can be done. Many have. Some have not. It will depend a bit on his past and how he was treated. Also on his and your personality.
To start with find his favorite treat. One he will risk much for. For my Bo it was sunflower seeds, from my Jules it was walnuts. Once you got that figured then depending on the attraction the fun begins. The simple of it is that you put the treat closer and closer to your hand over and over until they finally understand that treat and hand are good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His name is Ammo. Gloves were used for every interaction as far as I know. He doesn't like to leave his cage but doesn't freak out when he does. He likes to sit on my shoulder and play in my hair when it is done. He doesn't really step up to my hand even if it is in a glove. I have only used the gloves a few times and I try to avoid them. He will try to fly away from my hand if it isn't gloved. He is my only bird and his previous owner's only bird. I am not sure of his exact age but I know he is pretty young. No older than two. I don't pick him up but I will try and follow him around when he flies to have him step up. His favorite treat is millet but I haven't tried much else with him.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Will Ammo interact with a target stick. A dull ended bamboo skewer or chopstick for instance. (I've found the best to use with Harry now is a chopstick such as come with self heating pho bowls).

A target stick may give you the indirect contact you need to lead him towards direct contact in the very near future. Playing games with your bird and teaching him spins and other tricks using a target device and/or a clicker as a bridge device may help build a fun trusting bond.

It is very important to give a reward ( a sunflower seed or cardamom seed for instance) after getting positive results, even incremental ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts