Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would really appreciate some advice. I have a sun conure that my husband and I love. I decided that I might like a bigger bird, but discovered the little parrottlets instead. My husband has had a stroke and we are in our 60's. My question is this. Should I get another bird knowing that in 10 or less years I may not be able to care for it? I would love to get a parrottlet, but am wondering if it would be unfair to the bird knowing that it may be around longer than we are. Your advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, I don't want to sound mean or rude at all, but I think that it could be slightly unfair. Especially if the said bird really attaches to you and is quite bonded. If you can find a way for the bird to be very well cared for after you are no longer to it would be better than nothing. Preferrably someone who could possibly visit every once ina while and spend some time with the bird over the next years until you are unable to.

It says a lot of you that you have thought about this. Most people only think of themselves and how they want a bird, and don't consider a birds lifespan and what happens to the bird after they pass or are unable to care for it anymore. ANd a lot of birds who were perfectly happy with their lives get suddenly uprooted and have no idea as to why. So kudos to you!

·
Registered
794 Posts
This is a huge to contemplate, since I am in my fifties this someting I never thought of and Candi's right you are well meaning enough to ask? Did you know that none us have any idea how long we will live? Bad things happen everyday that are totally out of our control. The history of the parrotlet is still being written about how long they live, these little clowns have not been bred that long and time will tell they may live longer than we now imagine. All of us that own them can't imagine that anything could happen to ours but things do happen just like to people. If you could give it a real home and be commited to it then I would say I would want a little one to get a good life.
At the same time you would have to really do your homework adding a little bird to an existing bird's realm. Parrotlets are very territorial and it will not be as easy as just getting an extra mouth to feed, unless you don't intend to ever let it out the cage and that would not be right. We are not being mean , we just want to be truthful to you. I would say read about them and their temperment and their interaction with other birds and then make your decision. If you need to ask around here about them do it you came to the right place. Memmey

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you thought about adopting an adult bird that needs a home? There may be a little guy/girl that is a bit older that could really use some humans to care & love them. If thinking about a baby, I would ask myself..Do I have someone in my life that is both willing to take the bird if I couldn't care for him, and would that person be a good bird owner. If yes, you need to talk to said person/people to make sure they are on the same page as you are. Like Candi, I think it is wonderful that you have thought about this. I bet you are a wonderful companion to your conure. Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts