Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Kiwi is getting a little bit out of hand. My parents found out about his toy liking and being fluffed up and sqawking like mad. Of course, they think that it is funny. :confused:

Now every single time.... every single time.... everytime I throw off the blanket that covers his cage or eveytime I put my hand in the cage... he get a nasty fit and attacks my hand... It is a full blown bite. He does this to everybody not just me.

I beleive he is a little too proctetive of his toys, but he is not at fault here. It is the fact that the family members think that it is funny and want to show everyone that comes in the door. Birds at our house are never respected. :mad: :mad:

I moved him into the Living Room with the family... which he loves it... he comes out with personality and is not afraid anymore to whistle and talk with someone there. :) But just the fact that he is getting too aggressive with his cage AND toys makes me suffer becuase I am the only one that interacts with him and the only one to get into his cage. :mad: So I get the pinched and bitten fingers.

I have talked to him when I am getting him out even pet him before I say step up... then when he is on my hand he pinches and bites me. It hurts me so bad that I flinch and he flys to the floor. Then afterwards he is okay.

Any suggestions on how to stop this habit??

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. He is going through molting. Is it a slow process? How long does it last?

He is where my hand is, BUT he starts his long run across his cage at his ladder toy... that is near is bed -- sometimes he is near his Pom Pon toy. I put him to sleep at 8pm-9pm and he mostly gets uncovered at 11am in the morning.. whether he gets up before this is not known. When I uncover him though he is always awake and just fluffed up at near his bed on the perch in front of it. I think I wake him when I uncover his cage.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Okay. I don't know much about the molting, because it's Oscar's first too. So, people, please help us with that. LOL

About where he is:
Oscar used to be in a pretty small cage, and he was SO defensive if you put your hand in, but outside he was fine. He sleeps at the top of a twirly rope thing.

I recently put him in his HUGE new cage. He still sleeps at the top of his twirly (like a screw) rope thing.

He is no longer defensive of the cage, except that twirly rope thing. That is his "nest" and the rest of the cage is the "forest". As opposed to the small cage, the whole thing is his nest, and he is protective of it all.

So try and learn where Kiwi's nest is, and don't bother him when he's there.

How big is Kiwi's cage?

[Currently, I personally think the problem is the molting.]

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
22.5" L x 20" W x 30" H

Here is a pciture.... I am not the person who has $ to buy a big, huge cage. I can't shop online. I am only at a young age not having a car or credit card... So this is the biggest cage I could get my hands on, but in this cage I have twist ropes... TONS of toys.... I would say enough for little Kiwi for now.. but when I get older and get a job, getting a bigger cage is the first thing to do.

Here is that pix that I promised
----not pictured---

He only gets mean and upset if you mess with his toys or uncover his cage

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He was always like that ever since I got him a bigger cage than the one before. It only happens when I uncover the cage or someone grabs his toys... other than that he is a very nice bird. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
If all basic needs are not being met you really can't expect all good behavior. Please see our basic avian care guide that we have spent a lot of time compiling. Go through each need listed and evaluate whether or not they are being met - and if not, figure out how you can do so.

Underlying frustrations due to some need not being met will come out as displaced aggression. Do you ever have something you want / need and Mom/Dad won't let you - and at an irrelevant time you strike out with a bad attitude b/c you are just irritated? Even if it has nothing to do with the other thing, it just sets the mood. I know I was bad for that when younger *L*

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where is the "Basic Avian Care Guide" at??

On your website?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andrea... I can't access it on my computer. :( I open it and save it and it comes out to be all sorts of shapes and codings. Is there anway to make it English?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Oh my! It is just a PDF file. Do you have the Adobe PDF viewer?

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

As a side note, many of our keeping methods and recommendations are based on German Minimum Requirements for Keeping.

Since the recommendations are not easy to just do right away, bear in mind that even the German law states:

If parrots are kept in conditions that do not correspond to the requirements specified above, the conditions should be adapted during a period of three years.

During this time parrots that are kept alone should get a partner as long as they do not prove to be irreconcilable. As a compensation for social contact with conspecific animals the bird must be entertained and played with for several hours every day.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No. I don't have that stuff. :rolleyes: My dad is such a character about this type of stuff.

and don't think that one small down load is giong to taeke 15 min. with this guy. It will take about a week to convince him. ugh.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts