Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a 3 month old parrotlet in 2 days and it will cost me $135 and i have no experience with this type of bird. I contacted the breeder on kijiji and he/she said the birds arent really tame yet. So what do i do? Should i tame it myself? If so, how? Please help!! I dont want a bird that hates my guts:(

·
Super Moderator
5,045 Posts
You say you have no parrotlet experience. Do you have parrot experience? There are definite differences between young parrotlets who have been properly handled and those who haven't, but as a whole living with a parrot is different than a cat or dog. All parrots are naturally wild animals, but we focus not on overcoming their instincts but instead bonding with the bird and directing the instincts in manner that works for human and feathered alike. The more you can tell us about both your experience and the parrotlet in question the better we can help you. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Find out as much as you can from the breeder about how they were raised and get some of the food she's already been eating along with fresh millet springs. Put food both high and low.

I would suggest having the breeder clip her wings for safety and training purposes but others might feel differently.

Put her fully set up cage in a central location without direct sunlight or drafts. Spend as much time as you can talking to and watching your new baby. When you first get her, she might take a while to get comfortable and settled. Handle her if you can but, if not just let her get used to your presence and voice for a while.

Also Congratulations on your new baby! Post pictures!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Congratulations on the new bird. I would suggest reading the sticky in the behavior thread, Less stress, faster bonding (or something like that, I can't remember the exact name right now).

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Congrats on your new baby. Above advice is great, but I'll add lots of patience. Since the baby is not tamed, now is the time to have her warm up to you, in the cage at first.

My sis has a female parrotlet that is fiesty and territorial, she has a mean nip to strangers. Despite that, if persistent enough, she will like the person who gives her food, attention and rubbing scritches.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Well, if the bird isn't well socialized and tame then you will need to do this yourself. Reading the posts Jinx suggested should prove very helpful, and likewise, as has been suggested, I'd have the breeder clip the wings during initial training period, and you can always let them grow out later once your bird is socialized, bonded and trained.

As an alternative, if you are new to training, you could consider seeking out an easier bird to start with, one that has already been socialized.

I wish you the best of luck! :)

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Is this the first parrot you've ever had? The first bird? Have you researched it? You have a responsibility to this bird to give it a good home and future. If it hasn't been socialized by 3 months by the breeder then you will probably have difficulty training it depending on your experience. I would if I were you try to find a breeder who socializes their parrotlets and get acquainted with the training and bonding methods here on the forum prior to getting your bird. That being said if you are up to the challenge we would love to see pictures once you get your little friend.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Hi and congratulations on your new parrotlet! I would suggest you read as much as you can to familiarize yourself with the nature if these little birds. They are big attitude in small bird body and their bite is indeed worse than their bark. Slow and steady will be the key to bonding with your new baby, particularly a non-socialized one. Patience, patience, patience and when you feel you are not patient, come here - we will help and support you. In the meantime, read as much as you can - there is a ton of good info here. Looking forward to seeing photos and hearing of your adventures!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, and yes i do have some experience with parakeets but not parrotlets.

However i've decided to buy a baby blue female pied from the same breeder, and it just weaned :D
The breeder says she'll be ready to take home in a week or so. Cant wait!!

·
Super Moderator
5,045 Posts
Thanks everyone, and yes i do have some experience with parakeets but not parrotlets.

However i've decided to buy a baby blue female pied from the same breeder, and it just weaned :D
The breeder says she'll be ready to take home in a week or so. Cant wait!!
Make sure she is FULLY weaned. We just had a close call with a p'let that got sent home too early, and waiting a bit longer might be better for the parrotlet and give you more time to learn about parrot care. While parakeets can be lovely birds, they are rarely anything like parrotlets, who are miniaturized Amazons! :) Tumi would like to tell you (literally) "I'm a big BIG bird!"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts