TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We lost Bibi a while ago and we still miss her, but.... she could also be a little bitch. She was...lets say.... very lovely but also very very vocal!

After the loss of our dog we lost Bibi suddenly.
We grieved for both, but decided to not get another bird.my husband went crazy by her screaming (a lot and loud)!

We decided on a new puppy dog, a buddy to play and walk with. He is now 2 years old already.
After that, i missed the little things (besides missing Bibi) like cage decorating and the birdtraining and bonding and everything around it.

I've had fancy rats in the past, and my husband didn't want another screaming bird....well.... rats are quiet. So 2 fancy rats and a dog in the house atm.

I still mis the special bond you can have with a litlle bird, but with the very playfull small dog around, and 2 rats that like their attention, it isn't time for a new bird yet.

Also my husband..... he is afraid off having to deal with a screaming bird again.
His ears are very sensitive to it and he cannot handle it well.

We have had male birds in the past with Bibi, and they were far more quiet and easy going. are males always more quiet?

Don't know what i will do when the rats are gone. Unfortunately they only live for 2-3 years, and i already hate the idea of loosing them soon.
With parrotlets you hope they will live much longer lifes.

Maybe i will look for a parrotlet then... but if i would, my husband doesn't want the bird in the living room. I could place the bird in the unheated bedroom, but the bird could also free fly there. Do you think this could work?
Watching tv there in the evening with the bird out the cage.

I am just thinking about this. Feeling a bit down because of health problems and all the stuff that is going on in the world....missing the ones we have lost including our pets....
Facing the fact that i will lose the pet rats as they age....
I want a pet that lasts longer..... besides the dog... but i am not sure a playfull dachshund and a parrotlet are a good combination, and if it would be ok to keep the parrotlet in the bedroom.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Hello! I feel your pain. I had the same bond with a budgie, who suffered a stroke when he was 8. I still have a couple of other budgies and a Bourkes parakeet still but it took me 2 years before I looked at another bird that was just mine - and I got a parrotlet.

So, I am relatively new to parrotlets. I have a Pacific male. What I've found is when he wants attention, particularly first thing in the morning, he will make that high pitch squeak noise, and I'm guessing that is what your husband had a problem with? He is with me in my bedroom, and knows when I move to get up! If I leave him, he will call me with that noise, so of course I get him. I don't have a dog or cat to worry about hurting the bird, so it's a lot easier. He hangs out with me at the computer - indeed, he is looking at this right now LOL

I'm guessing your dachshund is an indoor dog? They would probably grab a parrotlet quickly ... they are a hunting dog aren't they?

By their very nature, I have found most parrots, of all sizes are noisy. AND they LOVE to chew and are hard wired to do so.

I hope you can find a compromise. It's tough when you are missing a birdy friend!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Dachshunds were originally bred to hunt badgers, so they do enjoy hunting small animals. If you do not let your dog into the room when you pet bird is out, then it could potentially work. Would the bird get enough attention if it was in the bedroom? How low does the temperature get in the unheated bedroom or could you put a oil filled radiating heater in there when it is cold out?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
we do have a heater in the bedroom but it is set low, because i like to sleep in a cool room. so that is not a problem. maybe we could also place a cage in the livingroom to be with us there, and have the bird sleep in the bedroom.

atm i work from home, and only work 4 days total, so when covid is gone, i will continue to work 2 days from home, but in a different (office room). i will be around to say hi, give a snack and some attention during the working days, but the real attention the bird would get in the morning or evening.

the dog is a hunting breed, and also very playfull

i don;t think it would be a good mix with a very small bird flying around, but it would be my bird, and i could give him attention when my husband is with the dog in a different room.... i don't know if it could work.

i have had a bird and dog before, that dog was also a hunting breed (jack russel terrier) but he was very easy going and didn't care for the bird.

yes the creetching noises were the problem, but she could also chiro and chatter for hours and hours at a very high and loud voice, she had puffed up feathers and was realy angry when she behaved like that. we don't want that again.

we have to think about this, if it would work to get a bird again..... maybe put the cage in the living room and have another cage in the bedroom for sleeping, and for when we need our quiet ? (if the bird is very vocal)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi There,

Birds really are special pets, and I can fully relate to you missing having that bond.

However, you emphasize that your husband doesn't like loud chirping birds and doesn't want one. So another parrotlet is not the answer - full stop. It isn't worth risking bringing a bird into your home only to have it not work out and then have to put the bird through the stress of rehoming. My male parrotlet makes a lot of loud cries during the day for a variety of reasons, so males are no quieter. Perhaps some individual parrotlets can be less noisy, but there is no guarantee. I personally would never call parrotlets quiet birds, though they can be advertised as such.

Additionally, if the dog shows any type of interest in the bird, now you've got to keep them separated at all times. You'll have to only interact with the bird in one room or where the dog isn't. And then the bird will only get interaction with you when you are in that room. That will be added work for you. I have cats and a parrotlet and it hasn't been a relaxing experience at all. Perhaps if the dog is elderly, that will make a difference in interest in a bird.

Anyway, given what you wrote I don't think another parrot would be a positive experience with your living situation. If you were ok with perhaps having less of a bond, diamond doves make lovely pets, with soothing coos and are very low maintenance. Of course, it's nice to give all birds some flight time if not in a large cage, but with two you wouldn't have to worry about needing to be in the same room at all times.

My 2 cents :)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Hi There,

Birds really are special pets, and I can fully relate to you missing having that bond.

However, you emphasize that your husband doesn't like loud chirping birds and doesn't want one. So another parrotlet is not the answer - full stop. It isn't worth risking bringing a bird into your home only to have it not work out and then have to put the bird through the stress of rehoming. My male parrotlet makes a lot of loud cries during the day for a variety of reasons, so males are no quieter. Perhaps some individual parrotlets can be less noisy, but there is no guarantee. I personally would never call parrotlets quiet birds, though they can be advertised as such.

Additionally, if the dog shows any type of interest in the bird, now you've got to keep them separated at all times. You'll have to only interact with the bird in one room or where the dog isn't. And then the bird will only get interaction with you when you are in that room. That will be added work for you. I have cats and a parrotlet and it hasn't been a relaxing experience at all. Perhaps if the dog is elderly, that will make a difference in interest in a bird.

Anyway, given what you wrote I don't think another parrot would be a positive experience with your living situation. If you were ok with perhaps having less of a bond, diamond doves make lovely pets, with soothing coos and are very low maintenance. Of course, it's nice to give all birds some flight time if not in a large cage, but with two you wouldn't have to worry about needing to be in the same room at all times.

My 2 cents :)
For what its worth ... I think what you wrote, and more importantly, the way you have put is, is just lovely! It may or may not work for this lady ... but I like your positivity! :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
We lost Bibi a while ago and we still miss her, but.... she could also be a little bitch. She was...lets say.... very lovely but also very very vocal!

After the loss of our dog we lost Bibi suddenly.
We grieved for both, but decided to not get another bird.my husband went crazy by her screaming (a lot and loud)!

We decided on a new puppy dog, a buddy to play and walk with. He is now 2 years old already.
After that, i missed the little things (besides missing Bibi) like cage decorating and the birdtraining and bonding and everything around it.

I've had fancy rats in the past, and my husband didn't want another screaming bird....well.... rats are quiet. So 2 fancy rats and a dog in the house atm.

I still mis the special bond you can have with a litlle bird, but with the very playfull small dog around, and 2 rats that like their attention, it isn't time for a new bird yet.

Also my husband..... he is afraid off having to deal with a screaming bird again.
His ears are very sensitive to it and he cannot handle it well.

We have had male birds in the past with Bibi, and they were far more quiet and easy going. are males always more quiet?

Don't know what i will do when the rats are gone. Unfortunately they only live for 2-3 years, and i already hate the idea of loosing them soon.
With parrotlets you hope they will live much longer lifes.

Maybe i will look for a parrotlet then... but if i would, my husband doesn't want the bird in the living room. I could place the bird in the unheated bedroom, but the bird could also free fly there. Do you think this could work?
Watching tv there in the evening with the bird out the cage.

I am just thinking about this. Feeling a bit down because of health problems and all the stuff that is going on in the world....missing the ones we have lost including our pets....
Facing the fact that i will lose the pet rats as they age....
I want a pet that lasts longer..... besides the dog... but i am not sure a playfull dachshund and a parrotlet are a good combination, and if it would be ok to keep the parrotlet in the bedroom.

I have a male parrotlet and he SHRIEKS. He's very vocal - in comparison to other bird types they are quiet but as you know they are still loud! The only difference is probably that males usually talk more - so you get 50% screaming for you to come back in the room and 50% a loud PEEKABOO over and over, haha.

From your post I also think perhaps with where you are at with your household, a new parrotlet may not be a suitable pet. :) I know it's tough having to decide when you want all the pets!

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
My Huey was also a little brat. He screamed and yelled and was not friendly. That being said we had our routine and we bonded in our own way. When he passed suddenly, the house was way too quiet and I was going to get a cockatiel. I had established a nice relationship with my new baby who was still being hand fed so I would visit. Sadly that baby also died suddenly and then next day a yellow parrotlet became available from the same place.

I bought him and he is 100% different than my Huey. He is so quiet and has lovely chirps that can literally last for an hour straight. He has yelled only a couple of times for a couple of seconds. He seems to be a nicer bird, not loving but I have said he tolerates me. He is becoming more adventurous lately.

We only have 1 pet and my hubby actually had the worst screaming from Huey. If my hubby moved when he got home Huey would scream at him lol.

There is no way to know how your bird will be. I took a chance since I already knew what a yelling bird could be, and I was starting over with a new baby.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts