Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a pair of parrotlets. preferably from an animal shelter but surely a pair that lived there together and knows each other. I have a room which currently serves as a guestroom. it is 3x4 meters and 3 meters high. As I am working all day I was considering putting a large cage in there but let them fly there freely during the day and decorate to their needs and leave the cage open with food and water. When coming home I would like to open the door and have them also explore my living room and also get acquainted with me if they choose to do so.
Here is my questions:
1.) Would they be ok with the current guestroom (bed will be removed so no guests anymore). Is it large enough for flying all day? And can I leave them by themselves for around 10 hrs. Furniture will only be the cage, my cupboards and the toys for them and food.
2.) Would they accept the living room and would 3-4hrs per day of me spending time with them in the evening (or 30 mins in the morning) be sufficient?
3.) The room has a window, is heated and dry.

Thanks for any answer and I am happy for any considerations or improvements. I would also consider putting a smaller cage into the living room but they could always get back to the guestroom cage.

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful life for a Parrotlet if you ask me. As for letting them free roam in their room all day, I think it really depends on the room and the bird. Spending time in the cage is always a good thing it's a secure safe place for them that is their "home". I personally think think they should be secured while sleeping. If there are no furniture that could entrap or be dangerous and nothing else in the room, perhaps some outlet protection in the plugs and no wires to chew on I think it would relatively safe. They would need to be flighted I think to avoid being stranded on the floor. Personally I always feel better when my Birds are secured, I don't leave them out when I'm not in the house but I don't have a "bird room". Even if you caged them during the day they will be happy campers.

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Greetings and welcome! I'd be inclined to acquire a large cage and keep the birds in it when I was away, and then let them have free flight when I was home to supervise them. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Hello and Welcome!

This is interesting to me. I have had a p'lett named Bogie for 8 years now. He is free to fly all over the place. It is a very secure home where all mirrors are covered and ceiling fans are off. I make sure he is safe, just like when my son used to crawl around the house.

The room you describe is excellent. A nice cage is essential for good health. My Bogie is out all day. He does go into his cage when he wants to, or comes over to sit with me and bug me!

I am home all day with Bogie and when I did errands, I put Bogie in his cage . He was safe. So, about 3 months ago I decided to leave Bogie out of his cage while I was out ( sometimes for 5 or6 hours at a time). He did well! I look around the house when I get back and look for poo doo's to see where he had been spending his time. He has his favorite spots.

When I come home, He greets me by flying to the top of his cage and goes into a dance and song for me. Every time! Your birds will be safe in that room as long as you make it safe and give them some places to sit and preen at.

Keep us informed! Send pictures when you get your little ones.

David and Bogie

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
I would not leave them ever alone in free-flight. Parrots are very destructive and creative, and dangers remain, especially for such a small bird, that really require a human to be supervising. I would recommend a huge cage (be careful that the bar spacing is small enough) for when you aren't there. Think of the cage like a bedroom, which they will spend time in while you are gone. Then when you come back they can join you, although you might want a second cage for the main area because they MUST be secured while you are cooking. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,460 Posts
Outside the risks of unsupervised free flight by leaving them out everyday there is a practical training one. By keeping your bird caged and caging it regularly the cage comes to represent home / nest / safety to them. This is helpful when you have to move or take them places since the cage represents security they are less fearful. A cage is easy to move. A room is not.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I agree with Ozzie's point about the cage being security. Levi's cage is his safe space. He totally considers it his home, and is miserable when he's in his "vacation cage" (his small parakeet cage at my parents' house). He hates it when someone is "in his cage"... example.. I had him out on his playstand so I could rearrange and change out some toys. As soon as he saw that my hands were in HIS cage he started grumbling and pacing until finally he flew to the ground (he is partially clipped), marched over to me, and pecked at my feet to stop all the while with his wings up and still grumbling. When that didn't stop me, he hopped onto my foot and climbed up my pants, up my shirt, down my arm and started pecking at my hands!

I think having a bedroom for your birds is an amazing idea (I've been telling my bf the only reason we would move is to get a 2 bdrm so Levi could have his own room). But I think it's really important for them to have a large flight cage at the very least for sleeping. If there was ever any emergency and you had to get them out quickly it's easier to get them out of a cage than chasing them around a room.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Oh, by the way, parrots tend to chew on woodwork if they have the opportunity, so if you rent, I would NEVER leave parrots alone in a room. They will do significant damage to the room. Destruction is one of the ways they play.

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
In agreement with my respected peers, I would like to echo that caging my Birds while I am not supervising gives me the confidence they are absolutely safe. That is my own practice. I think even if I did have a room, caging them would still be my preference.
And I would make that room a big'ol birdie jungle gym paradise for when I was home. :D maybe some toys for me too...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Yes, there are dangers out there and parrotlets can get into trouble. Bogie doesn't move around much when left a lone, but he could get into trouble. I agree. I wonder what the odds are that he would get into trouble? I may rethink this, but this past year, it seems that almost all the parrotlets that have passed away from accidents have been in the presence of humans.
Maybe I should keep him in the cage when I'm gone . I'll have to think about it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Your spare room seems safe enough but possible damage to a room's woodwork or drapes, if you are not there they might get in a bad situation tangled on a cord or string. Otherwise, go for it.
The time you can spend with them is certainly adequate----enjoy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts