Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I’m kind of freaking out. Georgie had a freak accident tonight. He jumped on my phone (in my hand) and knocked it onto the floor..and himself. About a 4 foot fall (onto carpet). He immediately flew up onto window blinds (so I assume that’s good at least). Then he came right to me. He is missing a huge patch of feathers off the back of his head. I think it was a miracle it didn’t snap his neck. I’m really worried about tonight. He is currently cuddled under a blanket on my shoulder our usual evening routine. I have been talking to him and it’s quiet in here. Tonight I plan to keep it quiet, warm, give him lots of sleep. I usually keep his room at about 73° and thinking maybe 75 or so tonight? I don’t want it to be too hot. My question is this… There were feathers all over the living room. Does anyone know if they can lose feathers easily but still be OK? I just found it shocking there were that many feathers laying around. I will include a picture. I am really worried about him. We don’t have any vets here at this time of night and it is supposed to be a windchill of close to -28 so I don’t want to risk taking him out. I think he’s safer here warm and quiet prayers would be really helpful. He did ask for a little bit of millet and a little drink of water before bed. Which is his usual routine. He had already eaten his healthy dinner.So worried. He looks a little dazed when he looks around but he definitely wants to stay right on me.
I was surprised that they were a lot of pinfeathers. Also some down. No blood feathers so I am thankful for that!

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
Went through a similar thing with Rio back before Halloween.
He was a bit stunned for a day and cuddled a bunch but that may have been him feeding on our anxiety for him. Took about two months for the feathers to fill back in. He had a space of about a dime missing after he hit and there were feathers everywhere. Scary stuff. But he came through fine and looks fine now.

From what you say I suspect George went through something roughly equivalent so should be fine also with all his feathers back in a few months. The really odd part is that it seemed like it took forever to start filling in then it filled in all at once in about a week.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Ozzie! I remember that and was hoping to hear from you. Thank you for your response! I’ve been waking up in the night..but I guess there’s nothing I can do but still!
Interesting about feathers coming in like that. I’d say his bald patch is about that size. Agai, thanks so much for your response! Glad yours is ok!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Georgie is ok! This morning he is singing, talking, and asked for tickles/food. See He is saying and giving kisses. No problem flying. We are keeping the lights down today and music very soft. I'm staying home to monitor. I think we are out of the woods, but playing it safe. He is more subdued...but nothing concerning. I would have a headache too! So thankful he seems to be ok!! Thank you for your thoughts and advice. :)
Bird Pet supply Parrot Beak Bird supply

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I am so glad Georgie is okay! When I had Bogie, he flew into a ceiling fan blade. The fan was not on. He actually flew into the very end of one of the 5 blades. He ducked his head just in time so the blade hit the top of his head towards the back. He had a bald spot the size of a quarter for a couple of months. He was never dazed, but he respected that fan area from then on! My heart pounded really hard when I saw him hit the floor! I thought he was dead! Imagine if the fan was on!!!!

I am glad Georgie is okay!

David

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am so glad Georgie is okay! When I had Bogie, he flew into a ceiling fan blade. The fan was not on. He actually flew into the very end of one of the 5 blades. He ducked his head just in time so the blade hit the top of his head towards the back. He had a bald spot the size of a quarter for a couple of months. He was never dazed, but he respected that fan area from then on! My heart pounded really hard when I saw him hit the floor! I thought he was dead! Imagine if the fan was on!!!!

I am glad Georgie is okay!

David
You must have been so scared! I’ve been waiting for that. We never have our fan on either, but he loves to fly up there and I worry every time that he’ll clip one of the (stationary) blades.

I was soooo shocked at how this happened. It was crazy. He flew to the blinds immediately and I went and got him before I noticed all of the feathers all over the room. So thankful he is ok!

He wasn’t badly dazed,,but he didn’t turn down 4 hours of cuddle time with “mamma” last night. Ha. Then today, he was super cautious and didn’t want me out of his sight. That improved as the day went on. Yet he still wanted to play with my phone any chance he got. Sheesh! 🤣

·
Super Moderator
6,723 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about, this same thing happened to one of my Bourkes! She was in the bathroom and got started and ran into the mirror. I found this PILE of little feathers and was so confused. She had this completely bald patch right on the top of her head. I don't understand how all those feathers just fell out all at once either, but they came back just fine. I was just as worried as you!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So scary! I’ve heard of two more…same scenario. Someone on here mentioned it’s an evolutionary trait. Drop feathers quickly so predator gets “feathers” not “whole bird”. I thought that was an interesting (and probable) reason. Huh! Glad you’re is ok!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,723 Posts
It is so strange, I wish I understood more about why that happened. I mean I can understand letting go of tail feathers if someone grabs you or something, but bonking the head? Weird!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is so strange, I wish I understood more about why that happened. I mean I can understand letting go of tail feathers if someone grabs you or something, but bonking the head? Weird!
I agree! No idea. It's just been a couple weeks and his little head/neck are both full of pin feathers. I thought it would at least be spring or next molt. The whole thing is strange!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts