Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've posted here about my little guy, Jackson, before. I got him in November of last year, and we have been working on training and speech since he came to my house.

He was a little bitey when we first got him, and I was directed to the 'gentle beak' technique. He took to it quite well... until recently. This only really happens with my sister-in-law, but she will put her hand down for him to see and come to, and he will run at her and squawk "GENTLE BEAK!!" while he opens his beak to bite her.
I'm not sure how to change this behaviour, because as I said, he never does that to me, and very rarely bites at my husband (aside from play-nipping when they play 'tag').
As cute as Jackson 'scolding' himself is, I'm worried that his being aggressive could lead to problems further down the road.

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
How often does he see her? He may feel threatened by long nails, color of nail polish, different scent as in hand cream, and the list goes on and on.

When introducing, a new person into the mix and one that your bird doesn't interact with daily. A treat in the hand and asking permission of the bird works wonders. I still when I put my hand in the cage say to my bird "do you want to come out, step up" if he backs up or feigns attack, I know he doesn't feel like it. They have feelings too and they don't always want to "perform" or be bothered all the time just like we don't.

So I would say practice handing off Jackson from your hand to your sister-in-laws and then rewarding his behavior if he goes onto her instead of her reaching out to him. Or have her ask would you like to step up? in a nice cheerful voice with a treat in her hand and see if this helps. If his answer is no, then you need to respect that and maybe try it again in a few minutes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She lives in the same house I do, so Jackson sees her quite often. When I got him at first she was a bit pushy trying to get him to step up, and I told her to back off a bit and let him come to her.
She now just lets her hand rest on the ground, far enough away that he, NORMALLY, wouldn't feel threatened by her, but the moment he sees that hand on the ground, he gives her a side-eye and then runs up and chomp!!
Even when I am holding him and try to pass him over, he seems to immediately know that 'oh that's the one I like to bite!'

It's quite odd, because I have introduced friends that he's never met before and he takes to them pretty easily.
Part of me thinks that her pushing him to 'be friendly' at the beginning is what started this behaviour. I am thinking that I'll start putting sunflower seeds in her hand first and letting him see that she has them. Those are his favourite, and maybe she can win him over that way.

But I have had a discussion with her about letting him be alone when he is obviously not in the mood to be handled by her, and she is alright with that.

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
Yes, it definitely seems like a trust issue. You can never push your way into a parrot's life. It is a matter of patience and more patience. She is going to have to start at step one and that would be offering maybe a millet stick for him to munch on while she is holding it. It gives him enough space from her to see what she is up to and if she is going to try to push into his space. This might take awhile.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent, I'll definitely give that a go! Thank you!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
She scares him. Just remember you can never have a bird as well trained as a dog, they are pets, but first they are a wild birds, it shows up once in awhile. In other words you can not domesticate them like a dog or cat.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I've had and worked with lot of hook-bills and I've got to say that they tend to choose who they like and don't like, and at times there isn't a lot we can do about it. Sky is very social, but as she has matured, coming up on two years now, there are people she wants to visit and likes very much, and people she is not interested in visiting, and if she isn't interested and is pushed upon, she'll be nippy with the person. She doesn't draw blood or anything like that, she just makes it know they are not her "buddy," and then typically flies to me. Mostly, I let her choose, and even if it were a close friend of mine, I'd honor her choice. As has been said, these are wild things that choose to be our friends, not dogs and cats that are domesticated and have tens of thousands of years history living with us. So their wildness does show up...but then, I've had dogs not like some folks around me before.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gentle beak

well without going too much into detail , whispering gentle beak has worked incredibly well and even calmed daisy as well to the point that I could gently stroke her beak and having made a nest type hole in her favourite towel I was able to scratch her head with my finger for me I can only say it works better than hypnotism , think I'll be saying it to get me to sleep , excellent , Tom and daisy

·
Super Moderator
4,777 Posts
How does she act when bitten? I am wondering if he has made a game of it. One of the things that is suggested is to react as little as possible when being bitten. One of the reasons is that the reaction could be seen as play or desirable fun to a bird. If so then the biting becomes a problem since it involves a reaction the bird wants.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts