Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first put my birds together they didn't play much - they preferred to just hang out together, eat and groom each other. Now they seem to be settling in and are going about their daily routines.

I've noticed the female (Mrs. Penny Peepers) plays much harder and moves about the cage much more using every inch of it. She interacts with every toy, even if its only to swing on them and then moves to the next. She has been in parts of the cage the male (Mr. Rupert Peepers) has never gone to - its his cage they are in and he's had the cage about a year. I have a dome on top of the cage and she has climbed up the bars to the top of the dome (I've never seen him there) - he follows her everywhere she goes now but when alone in the cage he never explored like this.

He used to stay pretty much to one side of the cage - he'd play with toys but nothing like she does. She also does a lot more acrobatic moves than him, swinging upside down - holding onto toys and flapping her wings etc - I've even seen them moving about on the bottom of the cage - before she moved in I don't think he even knew there was a bottom to the cage :D

I just find it interesting how she is more active and playful than he. He seems more interested in chatting, she more in playing.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have Chipper, she is a girl. She plays on every square inch of her cage, inside and out, on every toy! I have toys and perches all the way down her cage and on the outside also. Not sure if it is a girl thing or not. Sure is fun to watch!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Bitsy (male) plays with all the toys in his cage - climbs on all the bars, checks out everything! Maybe Mr. Rupert Peepers is a perch potato - birdie equivelant of a couch potato?????

·
Registered
794 Posts
Didn't RP have a little different beginning than Miss did. My gosh she is a parrotlet ranch parrotlet...you know THE parrotlet ranch. Hey didn't you know girls are nosey?????? Parrotlet Ranch *L*...parrotlet ranch...parrotlet ranch....*L*.....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
From all I heard and experienced, the Males are more vocal and the females are more physical.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tommaso, (my male parrotlet) also uses all of his cage. He plays with everything. He loves his large cage. Tommaso came from The Parrotlet Ranch and he's got such a playful personality. Maybe Mr. peepers just enjoys watching Mrs. Peepers play and that's what makes him happy knowing that she is having a good time. :D

Morena

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulie plays a lot...he has favorite toys. But he is very vocal and spends a lot of time talking, especially in the late afternoon and evenings.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Gelato is a male. He has a few toys he always plays with, but for the most part he like to just sit and chirp. he has a 30 inch flight cage with several swings and tiki huts, and so many bells. When he does play it's like a wind chime.

For the most part he is vocal and plays with his favorite bells.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My male loves to play all over his cage, however in the evening he doesn't get really playful until between 9 and 10 pm. I don't know if I should keep him up so late, but he's having so much fun I hate to stop him.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My male loves to play all over his cage, however in the evening he doesn't get really playful until between 9 and 10 pm. I don't know if I should keep him up so late, but he's having so much fun I hate to stop him.
I know...we hate to put them to bed when they are having fun. Just make sure he gets at least 12 hours of sleep at night.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Tommaso, (my male parrotlet) also uses all of his cage. He plays with everything. He loves his large cage. Tommaso came from The Parrotlet Ranch and he's got such a playful personality. Maybe Mr. peepers just enjoys watching Mrs. Peepers play and that's what makes him happy knowing that she is having a good time. :D

Morena

Parrotlet ranch....*L* ...Nice.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bitsy (male) plays with all the toys in his cage - climbs on all the bars, checks out everything! Maybe Mr. Rupert Peepers is a perch potato - birdie equivelant of a couch potato?????

Just to make it clear – he didn’t get that way from watching ME :D :D

… anyhow she’s taken care of that, she’s kicked him off the couch cause he’s all over the cage now following her around :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts