Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Gender confusion

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  aqueilo 
#1 ·
The breeder told me that Pilot is male, and in the early photos she sent, I could 'see' it.

But now he is feathered fully and is home and I do not see the supposed tell-tale indications of his gender.

I took a video and then screenshots of him so it's a bit blurry. But any feedback would be great!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

The topside photo is really too blurry to see though....Ultimately it only matters because he will need a name change if he is a she...

See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#3 ·
Hmmm.. can you get a picture of the other side of his wing (like the top side) that's where it's usually more clearer since it's not covered in gray.

I noticed for Spookie that it was "harder" to tell he was a male since he's already a really dark blue. The previous blue I had was sort of "light/gray" blue so it was really easy to tell. I think this is more of a blue p'let issue. However, when I do look at his wings, there's some of those "little bit darker" blue going on so I guess he's male. I should post a pic here too and see..

However, if you look at this image http://67.199.13.215/littlebirdies/Photos/Large/BlueFallowM.jpg
You can see that the blueness for him doesn't stretch all the way to the tip of his wings, which I realized is also the case for Spookie and might be the case for you.

#8 ·
I thought both sexes could have the rump? I will get that picture tomorrow. He's asleep now. I think part of me just wants him to be a female because then I would call him something else.

I don't do "normal" names but I went more normal so clients would remember his name.

#9 ·
Both can have blue rumps, but if the females have them, it's lighter and more teal in color. I was going to use that to compare to see how blue his wings were as they didn't look that blue in the picture, but that could be the lighting.

#12 ·
Looks like a girl to me. A blue mutation boy should have a cobalt blue rump and yours look like just normal to teal blue. If you look at the pic that I posted with my blue boy, you can see how blue his rump and his wings are.

#14 ·
Here's a picture of my blue pied female. Though she's a more powdery blue than than a normal blue. You can see the teal hints in her wings and the teal rump. Alone, you may think boy, but not when compared to my blue male. It gets hard sometimes to differentiate when there's lucida influence.

#16 ·
It is easier on ALL the other colors, but the blues are harder because blue feathers is the mark of a male. If you really are unsure, there is always DNA testing. I think it can run only about $50. I also wonder what our guys look like under a black light. On my cockatiel, a black light revealed barring in her feathers that hid in daylight. I wonder if there is anything that can be revealed on parrotlets...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.