Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The breeder told me that Pilot is male, and in the early photos she sent, I could 'see' it.

But now he is feathered fully and is home and I do not see the supposed tell-tale indications of his gender.

I took a video and then screenshots of him so it's a bit blurry. But any feedback would be great!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

The topside photo is really too blurry to see though....Ultimately it only matters because he will need a name change if he is a she...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm hoping that someone with experience sexing birds can give you an answer to trust. But I think Pilot is a good name regardless of gender. :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hmmm.. can you get a picture of the other side of his wing (like the top side) that's where it's usually more clearer since it's not covered in gray.

I noticed for Spookie that it was "harder" to tell he was a male since he's already a really dark blue. The previous blue I had was sort of "light/gray" blue so it was really easy to tell. I think this is more of a blue p'let issue. However, when I do look at his wings, there's some of those "little bit darker" blue going on so I guess he's male. I should post a pic here too and see..

However, if you look at this image http://67.199.13.215/littlebirdies/Photos/Large/BlueFallowM.jpg
You can see that the blueness for him doesn't stretch all the way to the tip of his wings, which I realized is also the case for Spookie and might be the case for you.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I will try to get a picture of the top of his wings. He's not very excited about this and was moving too much in the video to be able to screenshot it well.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought both sexes could have the rump? I will get that picture tomorrow. He's asleep now. I think part of me just wants him to be a female because then I would call him something else.

I don't do "normal" names but I went more normal so clients would remember his name.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Both can have blue rumps, but if the females have them, it's lighter and more teal in color. I was going to use that to compare to see how blue his wings were as they didn't look that blue in the picture, but that could be the lighting.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Photobucket isn't working or me, so I'm trying through Facebook....let's see if this works!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Looks like a girl to me. A blue mutation boy should have a cobalt blue rump and yours look like just normal to teal blue. If you look at the pic that I posted with my blue boy, you can see how blue his rump and his wings are.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Here's a picture of my blue pied female. Though she's a more powdery blue than than a normal blue. You can see the teal hints in her wings and the teal rump. Alone, you may think boy, but not when compared to my blue male. It gets hard sometimes to differentiate when there's lucida influence.

·
Super Moderator
5,096 Posts
It is easier on ALL the other colors, but the blues are harder because blue feathers is the mark of a male. If you really are unsure, there is always DNA testing. I think it can run only about $50. I also wonder what our guys look like under a black light. On my cockatiel, a black light revealed barring in her feathers that hid in daylight. I wonder if there is anything that can be revealed on parrotlets...

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You can use healthgene. A lot of vets use it and it's just $12. My breeder (for Koko) also recommended it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's a picture of my blue pied female. Though she's a more powdery blue than than a normal blue. You can see the teal hints in her wings and the teal rump. Alone, you may think boy, but not when compared to my blue male. It gets hard sometimes to differentiate when there's lucida influence.

Excuse me, I am wondering if you may be able to help me identify my parrotlets gender?
Hand Plant Sleeve Finger Gesture

Bird Blue Netbook Textile Finger

1 - 20 of 21 Posts