Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

future talker?

814 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ozzie3860 
#1 ·
I has been awhile since I have been on here. Lusi is still my velcro bird and as sassy as ever. She has even tried to mimic sounds a little bit. She is now 8 years old! I can't beleive how much time has flew by since she was my little chick! My question is do any of you have any milestones with certain ages? I wondered since she is making sounds at 8 if she could be a talker in the future?

#2 ·
Milestones about talking? Not really. Usually if your bird is going to be a talker, the first year will be a good indicator in showing you spoken words. You have a parrot and parrots, male or female, will pick up certain words all their lives. The last year of my Bogie's life ( aged 10 ) , he learned a new sentence that was quite complicated. He spoke 66 words in the form of single words, sentences and phrases.

The two p'letts I had were both male and I couldn't shut them up! They were extreme talkers because I was with them all day long and I repeated certain words exactly each time to them. In the morning, I said, " Good morning! " I never changed the words. When I wanted a kiss, I said, " Give me a kiss! " I never changed it. When Bogie was in his cage, I would say, " Let me out! " One day, he said, " Let me out! " It wasn't until later that I would say, " Bogie, you want out? " He would say, " Let me out! " They are smart and like repetition.

It has been suggested that females are not too talkative and I found that to be true in many bird species. But, they can talk! I had female budgies that would talk a lot! Keep trying to teach her. Be persistent!

Dave

#3 ·
It is true that if your bird will be a prolific talker they likely would have started by now - but that being said, Monty didn't really start properly mimicking words until he was about 1, and my budgie learnt a word at about 4 or 5. So it's always a possibility, but lots of birds mimic sounds even without talking (like kissing noises)!

#4 ·
Being female makes her less likely to be a talker. Also it is less likely with age. But I still would not rule it out. The one sure thing about a parrotlet is that they can and will surprise you. I know mine always have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.