Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are such clowns, please tell your funniest P'let story? I know you have some good ones.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reading Near Our P'let...

My wife and I have had Kiwi, our new p'let for 2 weeks now. She is starting to get more comfortable, getting more tame and enjoying being preened, hand held, etc. Wonderful bird!

The other night I was reading up on parrot behavior, Mattie Sue Athan's "Guide to a Well Trained Parrot" when little Kiwi started wildly flapping and darting back and forth in her cage next to me. My wife noticed this strange reaction (to what?) and we started looking around. I moved the book back and forth as I was turning to face Kiwi and try to figure it out when I noticed the book seemed to cue the behavior. THEN...

For the first time I noticed the beautiful large color photograph of the HYACINTH MACAW on the front cover of the book. Kiwi did not like this intruder staring at her while I read the book 18-20 inches away from her. OOPS! So, I chose hold the book so the photograph was not visible to her.

To her credit, she seemed to begin to realize that as the book was opened/closed, and my hand easily covered the photograph that there was not another bird in the room. But her first reaction was DEFINITELY fright and alarm.

She has been a cutie and such a great choice for us, we are glad to have her. (I came up with "Kiwi" as an original name - honestly, and have since read of at least 2-3 other p'lets with the name - I tried, anyway.)

By the way, love this forum.

Ben

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ben.... so cute, they are very aware of their surroundings now you know this first hand. LOL We are glad to have you and your wife join us and for me, I love the stories . Every once in a while we get a scarey problem but not too much. Kiwi is a great name and it doesn't matter who all has it, there is another Bitsey also. Feel free to post and get to know everyone, this is a great group a really nice people here who really welcome the new members. This is the nicest site. again glad you joined us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the welcome

Thank you Memmey, I appreciate the welcome and look forward to having a place to learn and share with other p'let owners. My wife works with some ladies who are bird owners (cockatiels, budgies) but I don't know anyone at work or have neighbors (or relatives) that keep birds. They're glad to hear stories but don't really understand birds. Nice to have a forum to find good advice and experience to help.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't have any stories, but I have a few moments about Kai.

For example, Kai loved to fly off his cage (he forgets his wings are clipped), so he always flys over my head, and if I put my hand up, I always end up catching him on my fingers :)

Once my sister left his cage door open when I wasn't home. He got out (obviously), and they couldn't find him for HOURS! Where was he? At the top of the bookshelf (some how!) calling out to be found!

If I leave Kai on his playgym, he also would hop down to the floor and run to wherever I am going, chirping and peeping.

And finally... I was once sitting on my bed with my friend, and Kai was on the bed too but away from his. I call him, and he comes RUNNING over fullblast, and takes a nosedive as he trips on his own feet.

He is such a cluts :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have 2 parrotlets booger and babybird (babybird is crippled but he doesnt know it) But anyway when I introduced them to each other Booger bit babybird then ran up my chest looked me straight in the eye and said GOOD BOY just as proud as you please it was to cute!
Linda

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulie loves to play "peeky boo" but only if HE starts it. If I ignore him [well..I can't really! LOL] he just keeps saying it until I respond. He always know exactly whats going on all the time around here.
If I forget to cover him at the usual time, I can hear him saying "it's time, it's time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts