Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone use a full-spectrum light for their birdies? Do you know if you can buy it in a hardware store or do you have to pay these high prices at a bird online shop?

Thanks!
Lilly

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I haven't seen these light in my local hardware stores...but I live in a very small rural town. Perhaps someone here might know of a cheaper online source; I'm sure there is one out there, and I know quite a few people use special lighting for their birds, giving them a dose of it each day.

I hope for are able to find a less expansive source! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Quilt shops/fabric stores often sell full spectrum lights, the same exact lamps as the bird shops, for much cheaper. I got mine from a fabric store.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Also Daylite bulbs in the supermarket are just as good and you don't have to limit the time of exposure like you do with the other bulbs to on 1/2 hour. The Daylight can stay on all day. So if you are at work you don't have to worry that they are being exposed to long to the full spectrum ligths.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
There are different full spectrum lights out there. For birds, you'll want to try to get something closer to natural lighting. So you'll be looking at CRI and Kelvin ratings. You want a CRI the closest to 100 (I think the 95-98 is a good goal) and a Kelvin rating of 5500-6500.

So yes, if you find a lightbulb elsewhere, then yes it can be used if it meets the
specifications. I have featherlite lights on my cages, because I like how they sit on the cage, but I also bought a regular full spectrum lamp and outfitted it with the appropriate light bulb. Before I got these lights, I used a regular shop light ballast and special ordered the right tube lights for my birds. But I didn't like how the shop light looked in my current room, so I switched to something prettier for me :)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Right, the lights in the fabric stores give a "look" of natural lighting but not actual UVA and UVB rays. If you search for my name I posted a great (what I thought) that explained avian light requirements and explained it and where you can get them. They aren't cheap but I think I paid about 14.00 for my light. Maybe someone else can find it as I don't know how on here.

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Right, the lights in the fabric stores give a "look" of natural lighting but not actual UVA and UVB rays. If you search for my name I posted a great (what I thought) that explained avian light requirements and explained it and where you can get them. They aren't cheap but I think I paid about 14.00 for my light. Maybe someone else can find it as I don't know how on here.
It might just be the store I was in, but when I got my then craft light years ago I have since discovered it online as a bird light: http://www.windycityparrot.com/Sunl...r-Birds-or-Craft-Use_p_2840.html#.U5kIO3JOXX4 It depends on the light and store of course, but mine turned out to be the bird light I ended up wanting.

Here's the link to the other thread about this, which is in fact a great thread :) : http://talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=36873

·
Super Moderator
4,469 Posts
Hi all,

Does anyone use a full-spectrum light for their birdies? Do you know if you can buy it in a hardware store or do you have to pay these high prices at a bird online shop?

Thanks!
Lilly
I use full spectrum lights for Jules in most of the rooms that she is allowed in to help with her vision. These lights can be purchased at any hardware store and basically produce a brighter higher spectrum of light that birds see better with. I noticed that since I started using these lights that Jules does not run into windows, fans and other hazards, plus they really show off her colors.
This is different than the avian light I have over her cage that is a full spectrum and has the UVA and UVB components of light for her health and only runs for a small part of the day. This light I have to purchase either on line or at a pet store.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Also Daylite bulbs in the supermarket are just as good and you don't have to limit the time of exposure like you do with the other bulbs to on 1/2 hour. The Daylight can stay on all day. So if you are at work you don't have to worry that they are being exposed to long to the full spectrum ligths.
Those don't produce UV, which is the whole point of having a full spectrum bulb. The bird basically gets nothing from it.

Fish and light bulb websites, and if anyone near you sells aquarium plants or salt water fish, will have them in many sizes. I forget whom I used to order my aquarium lights from. Depending on the design and wattage, some are cheap, some are not. Btw, output goes down significantly after 6 months typically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts