Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sam liked celery. If I were you though, I'd go with fresh foods instead of frozen. That's just my opinion. Whatever you feed though, be sure it's washed thoroughly!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Baby Blue hasn't eaten anything but seed and spay millet (which he eats tons of) since I've gotten him home about a week ago. The pet store gave me their "salad schedule" which listed what veg/fruits were given to him every day. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not "presenting" them to him the same way the store did, or if it's because he is still nervous about being in a new home. I hope he'll start eating more soon.

·
Registered
366 Posts
He should start eating the fruits and vegetables soon. He probably just needs time to adjust. If you feel it will help, maybe you could try giving him the food the same way the store did, if that's possible.

·
Registered
794 Posts
It's Memmey, I used to have large parrots and I gave them a vitamin in their water called Avitron, I didn't think about maybe giving that to Bitsey Jo. I may not be spelling it correctly. I tinges the water yellow just barely so maybe it would not scare them from drinking. Some seed that I have been buying is infused with fruit essence or something like that cause it smells like dried fruit. She's not crazy about it but she will eat it. I don't think we should play with their diet too much, they are too small to handle diarrhea for more than a couple of days. What do you think, it seems that we all seem to have simular issues with seed eating. MY question that is about to come up for me and Miss Bitsey Jo is how to keep her warm at night this winter. I cover her cage with a lot of covers, do you think they get real cold, we live with the heat low in the winter for us and I always fret about her. I maybe putting too much, do you all let them aclimate?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fresh

Tonight, I also put in a dish of thawed frozen vegetables but he showed absolutely no interest in it.
I have never tried frozen. Go with fresh. My 2 like chopped zuchinni, carrot & broccoli mixed together. Sometimes I add some diced boiled egg white to the mix.
They also love when I take a whole leaf of romain, endive or escrole, and clip it to the inside of the cage so they can tear it apart. (hopefully eating some at the same time!) For fruit, they love strawberry, but make sure to chop it well or you will have the juice all over anything that is near your cage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Louie loves sunflower seeds, so I thought I'd give sunflower sprouts a try...they still have the shell stuck to the sprout, so he was really excited to see them! I keep them growing next to his cage and he likes a to have a little handful in his veggie dish...he ate a TON of that today, and was foraging in the sprout forest when out of his cage :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
MY question that is about to come up for me and Miss Bitsey Jo is how to keep her warm at night this winter. I cover her cage with a lot of covers, do you think they get real cold, we live with the heat low in the winter for us and I always fret about her. I maybe putting too much, do you all let them aclimate?
I'm a new parrotlet owner, but I've read that 65 degrees (F) is the low end of the recommended temperature scale for these little cuties. I have not purchased/made a cover for my parrotlet's cage yet -- how many of you cover your cage at night? Year-round, or just in the winter? I sew and am considering making my own cover -- any recommendations for fabrics?

·
Registered
514 Posts
We cover Bitsy every night. I understand that covering helps them get the 12 or so hours of rest they need. We learned that a dark cover is much better than just a white sheet. It's really, really dark in there, so maybe can rest.

·
Registered
794 Posts
lol you should she whats on Jo's cage at night.1st a thin cotton baby blanket she's attached to then 2nd a velour throw and then 3rd a folded chenille bedspread,my house was built in 1937, it's all wood under 2 large live oak trees. I do not want my girl to sleep cold , so at night she's on a little table my by my bed.. I keepthe heat on 65 but the sweet old house is drafty....she's calling me right now she knows I'm on the computer...lol

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulie loves bell pepper seeds...any color. Make sure they are nice and white [they turn sort of gray when they're not fresh]. He also loves corn kernals and sweet potatoes. He eats whole wheat bread, and will try romaine lettuce after he screems a minute thinking that might get him millet [which he loves!] I make birdie bread for him and put his pellets in that because he won't eat them alone. He likes boiled egg and Proteen Egg food too. All in all, he eats pretty good.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I wonder what all that good food is doing to his middle :D .

If you have weighed him, post the results in the bird weight thread I just started.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. try making sprouts - ours love them!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cas is now a seasoned veggie eater BUT it took us a while.
He refused fruits and veggies for a long time no matter how many different things I tried. (Except blackberries which he loved from the get) Anyway long comment longer - ;)
I had to chop them much smaller than I had been presenting them. I mean like, really small. Once I did that, he ate everything.
Over time I didn't have to chop them as fine either. Cas does like fresh veggies much much more than frozen though. My market has something called a confetti salad which has carrots, broccoli, 2 different cabbages and celery. It costs $1.45 and lasts us a week or more. You might want to try that. Everything is cut to size.

Also, you can try sticking a whole carrot in the cage somewhere. They like to gnaw on it like a toy.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
This site has cool recipes! Chipper loves the Tail's up bread and oatmeal balls. You might get some ideas from this list.

Chipper's favorite veggies are mashed. I cook froz veggies and sweet potato. I then put it in the food processor. I add her fav. Topper seed to it and YUMMY, she eats it up.

Keep offering good foods, it takes time. Here is Chipper, eating the Tails up bread I made. The list is below.

http://www.parrothouse.com/recipes.html

·
Registered
536 Posts
I wonder what all that good food is doing to his middle :D .

If you have weighed him, post the results in the bird weight thread I just started.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. try making sprouts - ours love them!
He is a constant motion machine...never still a minute...I think his food is used up before it hits his belly!!
I have been wanting to try sprouts too.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ok here Miss Bitsey Jo and I go one more time every day every day. I made her some bird bread...corn bread with carrots green beans corn english peas and baked sweet potato. Would she eat it NO would she taste NO would she let me give her a little taste on my finger NO. AAAAGGGGHHHHHH why oh why won't my little bird eat anything. If she sees one thing that is not the correct color she wants then she is not I mean not going to eat it....I just stopped this post and called my friend who sent me to feed the animals for the nun when I rescued B'Jo and she said I was totaly wrong that I've had B"jo almost 8 years and the point of that addition is to say after all this time she still will not eat correctly!! I said in one thread I had her 5 years then one I said 6 I really couldn't remember. My bird will not live as long as everyone elses because she won't eat good food. Now white bread she will kill you for white bread but I don't eat white bread! I give her whole wheat bread and she will eat that. I hope I have her for the rest of my life but how can I if she will not cooperate?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Keep trying. Chipper eats many things and that took time. Some are just "better" eaters and some take longer I think. Just try diff. things. Feed it by hand, play like you are eating it. They often beg for what we eat.

Look at that list of recipes and see what might work. There are SO many fresh foods and recipes. Just keep trying. Have you tried warm oatmeal, scrambled eggs. I cook an egg with no oil or salt and she loves it. I give her oatmeal also. Green beans, peas, brocc. Mango, apple, banana mixed with a bit of peanut butter. Keep trying and we can all work to give you and all of us new ideas!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Serve what Bitsey likes on a small tray. Once she is used to eating from the tray (plate, big lid, etc) add some stuff that you want her to eat into the mix. She will still only eat what she likes but she will have to move the othe stuff out of the way. Eventually, she will get a taste of the stuff she is moving out of the way and, hopefully, start eating some of it. It's a slow process but it seens to work with our birds (somethimes :rolleyes: ).

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well I'm not sure how long it's gonna take since I have had her so long. Oh well were gonna keep on keeping on.I've tried eggs, roast beef homemade vegetable soup apples pear banana grapes mango peaches blueberries blackberries orange. (I had a Noble Macaw that used to drink orange juice.) Pecans, walnuts peanuts you have no idea what she has been offered. Did you see that little face she is a tough cookie and says NO. I take a bite and offer her-NO I do the ummmmso good-NO I know there has to be somesort of product for this problem I cannot be the only one who deals with this. I can't be. Does anyone else have a picky bird?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Art I put oranges in her food so the juice will get on her seed and when she throws it out she tastes it. She goes and wipes her beak like it is nasty. I've been smashing up nuts so she will get a bite throwing that out too. That girl it's like trying to make Paris Hilton eat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts