Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Bella has been in her forever home for about a week and a half, and has been so sweet, nothing but cuddles kisses always wants to be on my shoulder in with me, everything has been great! We have a routine and schedule down pretty good! This morning everything was the same as every morning she ate her breakfast, you went out on the porch for a few minutes got some sun, she was on her play stand, I was having my coffee then she just starts biting me, and not just little love Nibbles, pressure was really hard. She got up on my shoulder, and was bitting my face the same way, and she wasn’t giving me gentle kisses anymore , she was bitting, the whole scenario was almost attacking!! It was time for me to go to work, I put her back in the cage. I’m not sure how to handle this , how to redirect or even what’s going on all of a sudden !! It’s like something set her off at that very moment!!???

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Something did set her off. Birds are very sensitive to their environment. Any slight changes or something they simply didn’t notice before can set them off. If you were out on the porch (screened I hope), it’s extremely likely that she saw a predator you didn’t. Fox, hawk, etc. She was trying to get back inside and tell you to go back inside. When parrotlets want you to get away from something or someone, they bite you to warn you. In the future if you’re holding Bella and she meets a stranger she doesn’t like, she’ll start biting you to tell you to get away from them.

Also an important point to make is parrotlets are temperamental. We don’t call them feisty and sassy for nothing. Random things will make them upset or angry. Plastic bags upset pretty much all parrotlets. Luka hates napkins and will destroy you and the napkin if they get close to him. You just have to be watching their body language so you know to back off while they have their tantrum. They go back to normal as soon as they’re done.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
How old is Bella? This is behavior that is typical of (but not limited to) two things: 1) she is either feeling very safe and comfortable with her forever home and parent that now she will begin to test the limits/boundaries of what she can get away with. Think of a 2 year old human! 2) if she is about 4-6 months old, then it's puberty and she's going thru her snitty teenage years (if she was a human, that is). Patience is required and know that this won't last forever. If she bites, put her back in her cage and give her space. And, it's really hard to do, but if you get bit, don't yell or pull back. Just remove her from wherever she is and put her back in her cage for a time out. Keep working with her on her training..she's smart and she'll figure it out quickly what biting will earn her.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Your bird may be going through adolescence. Typical behavior of that age. That takes a "gentle beak" method of subduing the problem. It will not break her of it, however. Ollie had to go through it several times, now I say "gentle beak" and he knows the meaning, but still may bite. Sooooo----back to the food source whether it is on the kitchen table or in his cage, he is "outta here."

When biting starts, either from your shoulder or hand. Birds communicate that they are not happy, and need to be back in their cage, for whatever reason. :(

When I am eating yogurt, and Oliver wants some of it and starts biting my cheek, he goes back in his cage, since yogurt isn't on his food list!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bella

I Apologize for not responding earlier!! Yes the porch is screened in, this little incident happened after we came back inside! Now that I think about it, right before she was in attack mode I was unwrapping a Cliff bar and the wrapper was super loud!! Maybe she didn’t like that she was letting me know !! Bella is 4 years old.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bella

I want to say to all of you, thank you so much for all of this information that you post everyday!! You are all a blessing, I just want to do everything right for this little gem!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
My breeder told me that Parrotlets are not domesticated animals – They haven’t had human interaction for very long – I think he said that they haven’t been in the US for more than 40- 50 years. I remember him telling me that the blue parrotlets didn't come to the US till the late 90's. So, our birds are not that much different from the wild parrotlets that still live in the jungles of Mexico and South America.

When I got Cleopatra, she was tame, but the breeder warned me that it was important not to go too long without handling her or else she will go back to being wild again. I think that some of unexplained biting is just part of their wild side coming out and that no matter how tame they seem to be, they are still wild birds and they will bite us from time to time. It’s just something that we as parrotlet owners have to accept and deal with - So, just keep the bactine spray and band-aids handy. ;-)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Levi can go from being totally blissfully happy getting head rubs to attacking me in a matter of seconds. Usually, he is cranky and needs a nap (like a 2 year old) and lashing out is his only way of telling me he is done with me. Also, there are some things he just doesn't like. Like crinkly things (although that doesn't cause him to bite, just yell a lot). But mostly collared shirts. Hates the things. He will go total vampire bird and bite your neck if you're wearing any kind of collar.

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Sounds like the wrapper. Our little ones are quite intelligent and when they are so the bond and the loving is great. But I notice that when they get excited. Their eyes pin, their tails flare and the intellect leaves and the animal takes over. Biting and attacking can happen. I usually shoo her away from biting you and let her settle down and things sort themselves out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My situation is a bit different, but similar.

My parrotlet is almost three months old, and finally seemed to be bonding. Yesterday. Kept coming out of his cage, flying to me, happily perching on my fingers and getting skritches.

Today he is still flying out to me, but once he lands he's nipping my cheek, or if I get him to perch on my hand some really nasty little bites. Not only that, but he's attacking three or four different spots on my hands and I'm getting some nice sores. Then he attacks the scabs. I finally put him back in the cage and closed it.

They really grow out of this?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Yes, Noway, they do grow out of it, to a certain extent. Your birdie is 3 months old? Then, get ready for the terrible twos. For a while, he will be hormonal, for sure! It will get better in about 30 days or so. Be patient. DO not let him get to your scabs AT ALL!

If he has a favorite toy and adopts it as his, " Mate ", get rid of that toy or you could lose the bond you are getting with him.

Littlesunshine--You are going to have to take the advice of everyone! I was thinking, do you play with her a lot? Like, tickle her belly or pet her wings and back or scritch her below the neckline? If so, she could be building up some hormones due to the touching and playing with her. So, be careful how much you handle her . You could be getting her excited!:eek:

David:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.