Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a female parrotlet, she's about 1.5 years old. I was thinking about getting her a friend, she seems a bit lonely. I was just wondering if it was best to get her another parrotlet friend or like a budgie or something small. I'm not looking to breed, just for a friend for her

·
Super Moderator
6,666 Posts
What makes you think she's lonely? How much time are you able to spend with her, what's you current situation like?
Parrotlets are not great at being friends, with each other or other species. It's common for people to think their bird needs another bird but in reality she just needs you, she can and may be perfect happy as an only bird. If you did get another bird, you will have to house them separately and be very diligent about them playing together, if they care to at all. Worst case scenario they won't get along at all and parrotlet can be very vicious. we have multiple birds and do a good job keeping the flock in line but we've had more than one toe bite, some of them pretty bad and that's all in the Parrotlets. They would have to stay just side by side and that's not much of a buddy. Then you have to make sure you spend time with each of them to keep them tame and socialized. Getting a bird for your bird is really not a great decision in most cases, good rule of thumb is to get a second bird if YOU want one. But it will only take MORE of your time. If you think she's lonely just use the extra time it would take you to care for two birds and spend it with her.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Mrs.JP3 is spot on, as usual. Parrotlets are very temperamental a lot of times around other birds. They like to bond with their human and this bond can be very strong. Chances are, if you introduce another bird into your flock, you may have a bad situation. I have seen parrotlets fight and it is not pretty. They are true parrots and they can use their beak as a formidable weapon.

For parrotlets to be happier, the human needs to spend quality time with their bird. Teaching them to step up is the first true trust you can have to start a bond. Since your bird is 1.5 years old, you can train her to do things with you. They love to learn things and they love to please their humans ( on their own terms). I have had all kinds of animals in my 68 years and the parrotlet is the only pet that truly bonded with me ! I had a horse named Country Squire who came in second in the bond department.
Feed her treats and change her toys often. Hang a spray of millet in her cage and let her enjoy that nutritious treat. Let her fly around in a safe home. Sing to her and play the TV or radio for her. You will be amazed at her response to certain music that she enjoys. My first parrotlet loved for me to play the piano. He would sit on my wrist as I played. He would get so excited that he would jump down on the piano keys and peck at them. When I played in the key of " G ", he would join in and sing his bird melodies.

What I am trying to say is to try and get involved with your bird a little bit. It doesn't take much to get her perked up.

David

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree with both above. Your birdie really needs you. Enrichment. They are so incredibly smart. My honest and initial reaction (no judgement at all) is that if someone doesn’t have extra time for one…then why double the time commitment?
Is your baby getting at least a few hours per day of quality time? Not just “out of cage”flying aimlessly, or foraging…but good quality training time? That makes a world of difference. Otherwise you end up with two bored birds. It’s clear that you really care about your little one. If I were in your shoes, I’d find a way to spend more time with him/her. Preference training is amazing and takes about 5 minutes per day. I think your birdie would love it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts