Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

are there any other free flying parrotlets out there?

emmy's wings were clipped when we first got her a year ago. we would take her out and when she was ready to go home she would walk to her cage and climb the cord that we set up for her.

we've let her wings grow out and she has free run of the house(cage is always open). emmy isn't that adventurous so she doesnt get into trouble. rarely does she fly out of her cage unless its play time where she will fly to her usual spots and then fly home. throughout the day i will take her to our computer room, livingroom(where she is nearest), washroom(shower time) or bedroom and she will keep me company until i bring her home or if she decides its time, she will fly home to her cage.

emmy knows her way around the house - we only have one entrance to our basement suite and all our windows are screened. emmy is most comfortable in her cage and rarely flies near our entrance.

i know this may not be an ideal situation for other parrotlets/birds. emmy doesn't 'play' with anything so we don't have to worry about her getting into stuff. most other parrotlets/birds are very active, curious and play with stuff. emmy just likes to sit with us or fly...thats as active as she is, so it gives us joy to see her chirping while flying.

tabitha

·
Registered
794 Posts
reply to free flying

Hi Tabitha welcome to the forum. I also do not clip my bird's wings. I only let her out when I can secure the room( she once fell behind the headboard of my bed and got stuck I almost had a heart attack). There is a bird expert named Sandee Molenda, she's one of the first people to raise P'lets in the country, There are not many really old ones yet because they were only introduced in the last 20 years according to her and the main reason for death is injury. I have a horror of something happening to Bitsey, I love her so much. I know birds bones are hollow and a break causes Pneumonia, we see such little clowns but they are more fragile than we would like to think. Poor "bits" she has a very over protective mother. My son would probably say that too.HaHa

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bruce's wings arent clipped either. He has way too much fun flying from his cage onto my head, then from my head onto my shoulder etc. I dont have the heart to clip his wings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi kathy,

yes, another vancouverite here. just learnt that 'stephen' - owner of wendell who speaks! - is also from vancouver. i expect more and more parrotlett owners from vancouver to grow as a vancouver breeder i know - http://ca.geocities.com/lindas_parrotlets/ - recently purchased more parrotlets to breed - yellow, white and pastel blue along with her usual blues and greens.

say to kiwi from emmy!

tabitha :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't clip, but mine don't have run of the house because of my 2 fat cats. When they come out & the cats are secured in the bedroom, both birds pretty much stay on their "playground". Guess they know thats where all the good stuff is!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts