Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I have, what I believe, is a four week old Parrotlet who was left to me by an irresponsible person. I have no experience whatsoever in hand feeding and specially with baby birds :( i am terrified but I am this babys’ only hope (please don’t judge me 🙏). I am currently hand feeding three times a day with formula. Today she climbed the bars of her sleeping cage and was flapping her wings. I wanted to know if this behavior is normal? It seemed funny but at her age I was impressed she’d do this. Also what is the correct amount of formula I should be feeding her? I’d greatly appreciate your help!
Bird Beak Parrot Feather Wing
Bird Eye Beak Parrot Natural material

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Keep her warm . Put tissues around her now! Cover her at night. If she is in a box, then put a thin towel over her, but not on her. I never had to feed a baby p'lett with formula, so most of the replies you will get on this site deals with non-baby birds.

I have seen many videos on You Tube on how to feed the baby p'lett. Ask You Tube videos, " How much formula do I feed a baby parrotlet? " You will get many videos. Please ask them Now! 3 times a day is not enough. I think it is more like 6 times. Check this out for sure.

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep her warm . Put tissues around her now! Cover her at night. If she is in a box, then put a thin towel over her, but not on her. I never had to feed a baby p'lett with formula, so most of the replies you will get on this site deals with non-baby birds.

I have seen many videos on You Tube on how to feed the baby p'lett. Ask You Tube videos, " How much formula do I feed a baby parrotlet? " You will get many videos. Please ask them Now! 3 times a day is not enough. I think it is more like 6 times. Check this out for sure.

David
I’ve seen videos where people feed them three times a day at this age, that’s why Im feeding her like that! Also, she is warm, I live in a very hot place (temp here reaches up to 100F!) Thank you for your response:)

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Wow, that is a young bird. It sounds like your very irresponsible person has left you in a situation with a high chance of failure. Still there is a chance so it is good to make a go of it. Sounds like you are doing well so far. Make sure to leave lots of padding on the bottom of the cage since he/she has already started climbing. I really do not have a lot to add that David did not say but to suggest to check on baby budgies / parakeets and chickens for rearing suggestions. Both communities have large amounts of raising from egg lore.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The flapping of the wings is part of the normal developmental process for baby birds. They're developing the flight muscles to get ready for fledging. Once they fledge they grow out of it.

It seems like you're doing your best with a difficult situation. The main thing with hand feeding as you probably know is to make sure that the formula is neither too hot nor too cold by taking the temperature just before feeding. Always make a note of how full the crop looks/feels to guide how much to feed.

Four weeks is young, but it's not so young that the situation is dire. The fact that you're getting your p'lett to eat is more than half the battle. I agree that three times per day is not enough for the developmental stage. If you're not doing it already, I wouldn't definitely make sure you're feeding right before bedtime. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The flapping of the wings is part of the normal developmental process for baby birds. They're developing the flight muscles to get ready for fledging. Once they fledge they grow out of it.

It seems like you're doing your best with a difficult situation. The main thing with hand feeding as you probably know is to make sure that the formula is neither too hot nor too cold by taking the temperature just before feeding. Always make a note of how full the crop looks/feels to guide how much to feed.

Four weeks is young, but it's not so young that the situation is dire. The fact that you're getting your p'lett to eat is more than half the battle. I agree that three times per day is not enough for the developmental stage. If you're not doing it already, I wouldn't definitely make sure you're feeding right before bedtime. Good luck to you!
Thank you so much! Now I am feeding her four times a day (last meal before her bedtime). She is trying the millet as well. I can’t wait for her to grow up! Its kinda scary not being experienced and waking up in the middle of the night just to check up on her and see if she’s okay

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Thank you so much! Now I am feeding her four times a day (last meal before her bedtime). She is trying the millet as well. I can’t wait for her to grow up! Its kinda scary not being experienced and waking up in the middle of the night just to check up on her and see if she’s okay
Never had to deal with a bird that young but when my were sick I got one of those baby cams just so I could check on them at any time to be sure all was well. Even in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning. Lets you check up without bothering them too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never had to deal with a bird that young but when my were sick I got one of those baby cams just so I could check on them at any time to be sure all was well. Even in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning. Lets you check up without bothering them too much.
Thats actually a good idea. Never thought of it! She is getting big though! 😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts