Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

Super Moderator
If I ever rescued a baby bird from outside I would probably end up adding it to the flock 馃ゴ except pigeon, I cared for one temporarily and it was so messy, I still loved him though. 馃ぃ post some pictures if you can!

Registered
Hey there :). That somebody you are thinking about is probably me. If you are not able to locate the nest and return the baby safely to it, chances of survival are very slim. The parents will not be able to relocate the baby without it being able to fly. They may continue to feed it but they won't spend the night with it, so chances are... it won't still be there in the morning. So you can do one of three things:
1. Try to follow the parents to locate the nest to see if you can return the baby to it.
2. Leave it be and let nature take its course.
3. Bring it home with you.

Since starlings are considered pests, most rehab centers won't take them in. They might tell you they will take them but what they won't tell you is that it will be put to sleep. But the good thing about starlings and sparrows is that they are one of only a couple of species of wild birds that are not protected by federal law, so with the exception of only about 5 states, it's legal to keep them and raise them as pets. Of course, if there is any way for it to be returned to and survive outside on its own, that's always the best choice.

If you plan to bring it inside though... be prepared to have a new family member. I can send you information on how to care for it, as well as resources for possibly finding somebody in your area to adopt it if you aren't able to take care of it yourself. For right now though, if you plan to take care of it, the most important things are to keep it warm and hydrated. I'll send you links to baby starling diet as well, but it's more important right now to make sure it is hydrated because if it's not, it won't be able to digest and absorb the food properly. A little bit of Karo syrup in water, dripped onto the side of its beak, is generally what's recommended for hydration of these little guys. I'm sure you probably already know, but please don't ever drip or squirt liquids into its mouth as that could easily cause aspiration pneumonia.

Please keep an eye on your private messages soon for some links. I'll include my private email address as well. Good luck! If you decide to keep it, you're in for a treat... I promise! :D
Hi BeanDip! I created an account specifically to message you because I found a baby starling last night. Although I unfortunately can鈥檛 private message you since I haven鈥檛 replied to threads and the such. The parents have not come for it (that I鈥檝e seen, I鈥檝e been watching it for a bit last night and some this morning), and unfortunately I don鈥檛 think it鈥檒l make it another day of left alone. He seems healthy and is uninjured. I also read that the mother may prioritize either the full nest or the single baby bird and stop feeding the other. I know she has some other chicks in her nest as well (and unfortunately the nest is unreachable 馃槙) Do you have any information/advice/ or anything? I would feel bad if the little guy dies.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts