Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
How sweet, nothing to add just enjoying the adventure I'm glad the little baby is perking up. Its a good thing you have some experience because I don't think I would be very successful if it were me although I would try of course. I'm dying for a photo BTW

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
He just fell asleep after the vet visit, so I'm going to leave him be for now, but I'll make sure to get a photo of him.

The vet says there is something wrong with his leg. (I told my housemates I wasn't imagining it!) He couldn't tell what, except that it was most likely not a broken bone, and had a good chance of healing on its own. I've seen improvement in it even in the time since last night, so I'm optimistic. And other than that he is in perfect health. Now we just have to figure out which nest is his, and how to get him into it. We're texting people we know with ladders. I hope someone answers, because while I'm willing to put the time into finding another home for him, it seems a shame if he would otherwise be capable of going back to the nest.

The vet did tell me NOT to put him back on the ground. He's too young for that, and would die of exposure. I'm sure glad I came on here for advice, because leaving him was the go-to plan at first, since his parents were still around, and he would have died overnight!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yay! I'm so happy there is no internal injuries or illness that wouldn't allow you to return him. Did the vet think it will be okay to return him to his nest before his leg is fully functioning?

According to the forum I use (I don't have personal experience with this one so only relaying what I've read), if you are able to return him to his nest and you come out in the morning and he's back on the ground, they recommend trying once more only. If you find him on the ground a third time, you can safely assume there's something wrong. Maybe with the nest, the location of it, how it was built... possibly it's a runt and the siblings or parents keep throwing it out of the nest. There are lots of reasons. But at that point they say you should stop returning him to his nest and bring him inside to figure out what to do with him.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a successful return to his home and family!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Actually the reason our sanctuary tells ppl this is b/c the vast majority of birds brought to them would have been fine if left where they were found.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Baby 's'

He just fell asleep after the vet visit, so I'm going to leave him be for now, but I'll make sure to get a photo of him.

The vet says there is something wrong with his leg. (I told my housemates I wasn't imagining it!) He couldn't tell what, except that it was most likely not a broken bone, and had a good chance of healing on its own. I've seen improvement in it even in the time since last night, so I'm optimistic. And other than that he is in perfect health. Now we just have to figure out which nest is his, and how to get him into it. We're texting people we know with ladders. I hope someone answers, because while I'm willing to put the time into finding another home for him, it seems a shame if he would otherwise be capable of going back to the nest.

The vet did tell me NOT to put him back on the ground. He's too young for that, and would die of exposure. I'm sure glad I came on here for advice, because leaving him was the go-to plan at first, since his parents were still around, and he would have died overnight!
I was thinking about Baby S and there is a chance that he was abducted from his nest(taken by a larger bird) then dropped when the parents attacked the meanie . I have seen baby mockingbirds get taken and the bad bird always grabs them by their legs.! Maybe this is how Baby 'S' was injured.

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
I was thinking about Baby S and there is a chance that he was abducted from his nest(taken by a larger bird) then dropped when the parents attacked the meanie . I have seen baby mockingbirds get taken and the bad bird always grabs them by their legs.! Maybe this is how Baby 'S' was injured.
Awe!!!! :( poor babies!! How awful!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update:

I was sitting outside writing and update about how I had seen the parent starlings, but couldn't find their nest, when said starlings showed up! One of them scolded me, while the other just watched me, and then they flew away.

I'm afraid they won't go back to the nest while I'm sitting here, but there''s no where else to sit where I'll be able to see where they go.

I thought I heard baby-starling noises come from a tree, but the tree seems further away than an unfledged baby could fall. Although it's easily close enough for David's theory. I sure hope that isn't the nest, because that tree is coming off the edge of a shear drop, and extremely tall. It would be impossible to replace a baby into a nest, there.

This morning, during my first feeding of Button (I may have accidentally named him. Yes, I know that's a bad idea) I looked out the glass door near us and saw one of his parents watching me do so! I like to think that that was the one who wasn't scolding me. If I can't get him back, it would be nice if his parents at least know he's cared for.

And yeah, SteveO, I know most of them are better off left where they are, especially with the parents still visiting. If he hadn't seemed injured, or had been a bit older, and if it hadn't been cold and raining, or if he'd been able to find shelter, I would have probably have left him. Don't worry; I grew up with a really nature-loving family (half of it anyway) so I was taught about that kind of stuff really young. Doesn't stop me from fretting over the ones I should leave, of course, but it does stop me from taking them inside.

In other news, I am now completely certain of where we have two house sparrow nests and a nuthatch nest. These starlings are just too clever, though. The only time I think they went back to their nest while I've been out here was while I was changing seats, and tripped in the middle. I saw a starling flying away from where all the nests are congregated when I got up. I'm being outsmarted by birds. An extremely clever variety of birds, but still. (The nuthatch, by the way, is really mad that I'm out here, even though I'm nowhere near its nest.)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update: Ok, I think the parent starlings and I have fallen into a weird unspoken agreement. They don't seem to mind me feeding him, but they won't let me see where the nest is, nor do they feed him as often as he needs, though they do still check on him. So... I guess I'm coparenting with wild birds. Weird, but a perfectly acceptable solution to me, if they're ok with it. He'll know he's a bird, and I get to interact with the adorable ball of fluff. Win-win. I'll keep an eye out in case they stop feeding him entirely, though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I remember reading about a pet starling years ago - "Arnie the Darling Starling" (link below). They can be great pets (Arnie talked), and you can give him a happy life.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/379344.Arnie_the_Darling_Starling
Goodness, yes! They are amazing little family members, although definitely not a bird for everybody. They are extremely high energy and have very different needs from a parrotlet. Gretta already has about 120-word vocabulary; much of it is just "noise" but a lot of it is actually used in context. He tells me when to close his bedroom door, greets me in the morning with "Good morning!" but just says "Hi!" the rest of the day, tells me when he's ready for me to put him to bed "Gretta sleepy girl" and "Gretta sleepy go night-night" (he learned that before I found out that she is really a he, lol), and calms himself down when he gets startled by saying "It's okay, it's alright". He laughs when he does something that amuses him and often follows that up with "You're silly!". And their ability to figure out how to communicate non-verbally is pretty impressive too.

Starlings are extremely intelligent birds and people don't give them nearly enough credit. I'm always amazed at their logic and ability to reason - Gretta has been able to figure out things on his own that my 12 year old cat still has no clue about. And "my" starlings outside (not mine but I take care of them and watch over them so I selfishly call them mine) have shown their problem-solving skills repeatedly. I am so fascinated with starlings now and am incredibly grateful that Gretta has come into my life. He opened up a whole new world to me that I never paid any attention to before. I only wish that more people would take the time to notice their intelligence and beauty as birds, rather than just labeling them as a nuisance to be eradicated.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think you might be onto something there. Around here, it's crows. They get about 90% of the babies, snatch them right out of the nest. They don't always succeed in taking them as snacks... sometimes they just come in and pull the nest to the edge and pick one baby and let the rest tumble the 24 feet to the concrete below. It hurts my heart to see how hard the parents work every year, twice a year, building and rebuilding the nest, incubating the eggs, then spending all day from sun-up to sun-down hunting, making back and forth trips to feed the babies every few minutes, just to have the babies turned into an afternoon snack by the crows. But it's really heartbreaking when a crow gets the last baby in the nest. The parents will fight to the death if they have to to try to save that last baby but they never seem to win. I swear I can see a depression come over them every time a crow gets the last baby. It makes me so sad for them and I wish there was more I could do to help protect them. It's a harsh world out there, for sure.

Oh boy... I've got to stop talking about that though because now I'm almost hoping that Unrepentant decides to keep little Button. I know that's not the best thing for him if he can be returned to the nest, but now I'm worried he'll get snatched from the nest by a hungry bird!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sorry BeanDip, not keeping him. Now that he's a few dyas older,t he resources you sent me said he should be able to self-thermoregulate, so I put his box back outside, and his parents do come by to feed him, though not as often as I think they should, from what I've been reading. So I'm going to feed him once in the morning before they get up, and once at night after they leave, in order to supplement. I don't want to feed him during the day for fear of scaring the parents away!

I don't have anywhere high up I can put the box; all of the trees are far enough away from where the parents have seen him that I'd worry the parents would lose track of him, and we rent the house so I can't nail anything to the side. I'm putting him back under the thick pine instead. He'll be nearly invisible there, completely so from the sky, but it's only a few feet from where he is now so his parents should be able to find him. An added bonus is that it is near the front door, which doesn't seem to spook his parents, but lots of other animals find it too close to human coming and going for comfort, so that should help protect him a little. Probably not from any predator that already knows he's there, but I bet most wouldn't want to come near enough to find him in the first place.
That also means he's in a place where I can easily get to him to check on him and supplement his feeding. I should probably get a puppet to feed him with, or something, so he doesn't associate human hands with food... I'll make a sock puppet; that should do.
The other reason for keeping him so nearby, and don't tell my housemates, is that I want to keep an eye on the progess his leg is making. If it's not healing, I want to see if I can find a home for him with someone as a pet. It doesn't seem to hurt him anymore, but it seems to have no strength in it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lol... I already knew you can't keep him. I'm just worried about the little fellow and really rooting for him. If he is the last baby, it would be that much more sad to take him away from his parents anyway.

Is there any way you can bring him inside at night though? At least until he starts flying. I fear that keeping him on the ground all night would be sealing his fate. If you wait until it just gets dark and then bring him inside, you could give him one last feeding and put him to bed in a quiet place, box covered, so your contact with him would still be limited. And then just do the early morning feeding and back outside he goes for the day.

If your estimate on his age is accurate, he should be starting to fly in the next 4 or 5 days. 18 days is the average for starlings; Gretta took his first flight on day 19. Starlings are expert pilots so it usually only takes them a few hours to get the hang of it so after that he'll go hang out with his parents at night and you won't have to worry so much about predators.

I know I told you in email already, but I have to say it again. You're doing an amazing job. The world needs more people like you in it. :D

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Aww, thank you. I really like birds, so I want to help out where I can. Especially with such smart birds as starlings! Remembering your stories about Gretta just sort of sealed the deal. I think my housemates are fed up with him being in the house (apparently his peeping is "very annoying"), but I could probably get away with putting him in the garage at night for a few more days. I just have to make sure I get up before anyone turns their cars on to leave for the day! Ahh, someday I will have my own house and not have to worry about so many opinions.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Aww, thank you. I really like birds, so I want to help out where I can. Especially with such smart birds as starlings! Remembering your stories about Gretta just sort of sealed the deal. I think my housemates are fed up with him being in the house (apparently his peeping is "very annoying"), but I could probably get away with putting him in the garage at night for a few more days. I just have to make sure I get up before anyone turns their cars on to leave for the day! Ahh, someday I will have my own house and not have to worry about so many opinions.
I can't imagine how a helpless baby bird's peeping can be "very annoying." 😕I guess we bird lovers are just different. 😊

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi M~
Just wondering how the little guy is doing by now? How is the attempt at having his parents take over fully? Would love an update when you get a chance. :)

By the way, did you see that there's somebody on the starling forum who is interested in adopting little Button if the reunification isn't successful?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I didn't see; I'll have to go check that out. Reunification seems to have been pretty successful, but I'm concerned because he still isn't able to use that leg pretty much at all. If there is someone willing to take care of him, I wonder if that wouldn't be better. I hate to take him from his family, but I'm dubious about his odds with that leg, once he's out of the nest. I'll take another look at it tomorrow morning, to see if it seems to be getting better at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
Once he has full flight, he might be able to work around the injured leg. If you've ever seen city pigeons, many have only one foot and they thrive. But flight is the essential tool. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there :). That somebody you are thinking about is probably me. If you are not able to locate the nest and return the baby safely to it, chances of survival are very slim. The parents will not be able to relocate the baby without it being able to fly. They may continue to feed it but they won't spend the night with it, so chances are... it won't still be there in the morning. So you can do one of three things:
1. Try to follow the parents to locate the nest to see if you can return the baby to it.
2. Leave it be and let nature take its course.
3. Bring it home with you.

Since starlings are considered pests, most rehab centers won't take them in. They might tell you they will take them but what they won't tell you is that it will be put to sleep. But the good thing about starlings and sparrows is that they are one of only a couple of species of wild birds that are not protected by federal law, so with the exception of only about 5 states, it's legal to keep them and raise them as pets. Of course, if there is any way for it to be returned to and survive outside on its own, that's always the best choice.

If you plan to bring it inside though... be prepared to have a new family member. I can send you information on how to care for it, as well as resources for possibly finding somebody in your area to adopt it if you aren't able to take care of it yourself. For right now though, if you plan to take care of it, the most important things are to keep it warm and hydrated. I'll send you links to baby starling diet as well, but it's more important right now to make sure it is hydrated because if it's not, it won't be able to digest and absorb the food properly. A little bit of Karo syrup in water, dripped onto the side of its beak, is generally what's recommended for hydration of these little guys. I'm sure you probably already know, but please don't ever drip or squirt liquids into its mouth as that could easily cause aspiration pneumonia.

Please keep an eye on your private messages soon for some links. I'll include my private email address as well. Good luck! If you decide to keep it, you're in for a treat... I promise! :D
Hello there I found a baby starling(not for sure) in my backyard today and I was wondering how to take care of it. It was stuck in the fence and I don’t know if it’s hurt.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts