TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my parrotlet Mat a bit of pancake this morning and he gobbled it up so fast! I also give him veg soup and stir fried veg. My question is; what can't I give him? Is there any foods that result in them getting into bad moods?? I cook a lot and am happy to portion off bits for him.

·
Registered
731 Posts
With your bird still being a baby, I would be careful with what you are feeding them and avoid human foods that contain too much carbs, sodium and fat. High fat foods and nutrient deficiencies can lead to fatty liver disease and other health problems which over time may shorten the life of your bird. It is best to focus more on getting you bird used to eating healthy foods like veggies and fruits every day. And you must keep at it – it took my bird four months to get her eating vegetables.

Just be careful, I heard about someone giving a Macaw or Amazon a piece of pizza and the bird died from too much sodium.

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Actually variety is the key. Mostly if you give them what is consider human healthy in small quantities and as diverse selection as they will eat you will do well. Out side that stay away from human junk foods since they tend to have large amounts of salt, sugar, fats, caffeine. Truth is the wife and I tend to spoil our little ones. So to give them a diversity we are eating a lot more healthy, a lot less junk food.

Now for the other issue. Be careful with hot foods, They do not have the senses in their mouth that we do and will hurt themselves before they understand it.

The other issue has to do with matting. Stay away from warm mushy food, especially coming from your hand. Part of their mating ritual is regurgitating and being fed warm mushy stuff from their crop. If you feed warm mushy stuff from your hand it can call to the mating instincts and make them stop viewing you as a flock member and more as a potential mate. Because being their mate is not possible it can lead to the birds frustration and aggressiveness in males and egg laying in females.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Avoid giving your bird avocado, chocolate, alcohol, onions, eggplant, and dairy products (they are lactose intolerant). It is best to stay away from high sodium, fried, and processed foods.

·
Super Moderator
4,873 Posts
As a general rule, if it is healthy for you, it is healthy for them (avocado being one of the notable exceptions - it is poisonous for birds the way that we process and harvest it). Just like the occasional "junk" food won't kill you, it won't kill a parrotlet, BUT their safe serving size is proportionate to their size and they only weigh about an ounce! So the safe amount of sodium, for instance, is so low that you want to avoid adding salt to anything. The same would go with sugar and unhealthy fats. And while I don't know for certain that caffeine is poisonous to parrotlets, since they are so tiny and have such fast metabolisms to start with I would never want to give a parrotlet caffeine!
What I do is adapt my cooking to share with Tumi, mainly, I never add salt to my food until I am at the table. I share with him small amounts of pasta (cooked in water without salt - I'm not a fancy chef here), rice, veggies and fruit. I don't share my protein with him, as I normally use oil in the cooking process for that and I just don't feel like sharing the tasty bits either. :) I also have been sprouting food for him, and he is LOVING having his sprouts! Those are 100% for him and he devours them, and they are quite healthy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. He loves veg but getting him to eat fruit is rather tricky. I will keep trying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts