Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I will bringing home my first parrotlet in mid-May and have been doing quite a bit of reading about pellet and seed brands. I've seen a lot of conflicting information. My breeder feeds her birds a mixture of seed and pellet so I was going to do the same to avoid stressing the bird.
I think I've decided on trying Harrison's pellets.
Should I avoid seed mixes with sunflower seeds? What are some quality seed mixes out there? Is there something specific I should get for a young bird?
A previous vet recommended seed mixes with egg for my budgie, is that also recommended for parrotlets or should I avoid that too?
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi, and welcome :)

Definitely your idea of feeding the same food as the breeder is great, you can slowly try to convert her diet as time goes on, Harrison pellets have great reviews everywhere, but, definitely I think it'll be better to use the one he is using.

A millet spray will help, her (the bird) world just changed, she will not understand what's going on, stress and confusion will be there, the millet will help him, comfort food.

Getting mix without sunflower is a must! those things can be evil to our little ones if fed regularly!

Eggs has been recommended to me (on this forum, and by the vet), although, I never managed to have Ozzy try it

Avoid avocado at all cost!

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
For ease of transitioning your soon to be little one it’s new home, feeding what the breeder was feeding is a sound idea. The best pellet to feed (if you choose to feed pellets) is the one that your bird will eat. As for seeds, feeding ones that minimize sunflower seeds is a good idea (such as Higgin’s Sunburst Cockateil). There will still be sunflower seeds in it, just use common sense and only give a few each day (they also make great training treats). Another quality seed is Goldenfeast such as Petite Hookbill Legume Blend, and the Australian Blend. Providing millet for the first month for a new baby is recommended. Don’t forget to provide fresh veggies for your baby daily or sprouts. We look forward to hearing more about your new baby and pics when the time comes, :)

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Another seed mix to try is lafeber nutriberries. They're really popular with our parrotlets and great for them. Milo and Luka love the classic, tropical fruit, and el paso. They all have egg in them. When I make eggs, Milo and Luka won't eat scrambled eggs, but they will eat boiled eggs. I cut small slices off the ends of the egg. They eat the yolk and the whites.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
How picky these birds get!! OLIVER (almost 5) eats eggs anyway cooked, several times a week.

Veggies have to be mostly given by me holding his dish and encouraged to eat. He Loves Hemp seeds!!! They get sprinkled on his veggies/fruit food. If it's something he never tried before, he may get a little bit as he's eating the Hemp seed.

Millet is a must in the cage. Clean water dish rinsed with vinegar, then fresh water. I give a liquid vitamin, Ecotrition, one or two drops. clean cage daily to remove poop droppings. I use paper towels on the bottom grate.

LaFaber's Nutriberries are wonderful for bonding in a separate dish. Get the cocktail package.

Keep him warm and cover the cage at night. 12 hours sleep is needed.

A Name yet?? Keep us posted. Best to you.

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
How picky these birds get!! OLIVER (almost 5) eats eggs anyway cooked, several times a week.

Veggies have to be mostly given by me holding his dish and encouraged to eat. He Loves Hemp seeds!!! They get sprinkled on his veggies/fruit food. If it's something he never tried before, he may get a little bit as he's eating the Hemp seed.

Millet is a must in the cage. Clean water dish rinsed with vinegar, then fresh water. I give a liquid vitamin, Ecotrition, one or two drops. clean cage daily to remove poop droppings. I use paper towels on the bottom grate.

LaFaber's Nutriberries are wonderful for bonding in a separate dish. Get the cocktail package.

Keep him warm and cover the cage at night. 12 hours sleep is needed.

A Name yet?? Keep us posted. Best to you.
On the Nutriberries product. Size does matter. My Jules was a seed junkie. When we got her cockatiel sized nutrriberies she turned up her beak. At first we broke them up a bit and dropped down to parakeet size and over time worked our way back up. Now she eats all sizes up to parrot / conure. The difference in the sizes has to do with the actual size of the nuggets and also its hardness. Being young and unfamiliar with the product you may have to do the same at first until your youngster finds their grove.

A bit of egg, egg shell and lean meat should be part of a balanced diet. With Jules she usually gets a bit off our plates as she eats with us. It is a great bonding exercise. Just be sure not to let them get anything you have eaten off of. The bacteria in a mammals mouths can be harmful to our birds.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Give him fresh veggies and fruit every morning and as often as you can. Online, you can find a list of all the vegetables and fruit that is recommended for parrotlets. When my bird was young, she would turn her beak up anything fresh, so I tried preparing it in different ways to see what she liked. It wasn’t until I steamed the veggies and chopped them up in very small pieces that she began to eat some veggies. She still wouldn’t touch fruit.

Then, at six months old, she started eating more types of veggies in larger pieces and (to my delight) all kinds of fruit!! She just had to mature some. But, every bird is different. Be sure to throw in some grains in there too, like cooked brown rice and oatmeal. You will find out through trial and error what your sweet little guy likes, just be diligent and don’t give up. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts