Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! Kona has recently become obsessed with flying onto our heads. I didn’t mind it at first, but my family members don’t like it and it’s gotten out of hand, so we want to train her not to do it. She used to always land on my hand when I held it out, but now she’s constantly trying to fly onto our heads, and then will bite when we try to take her off. Normally, she never bites (she’s super friendly and loves scritches), this is the only situation where she has.
I’ll hold out a treat and she’ll get off of my head and onto my hand to eat it, but then most of the time she flies right back up. I don’t know if this is reinforcing her going onto my head or her getting off of it, but I don’t know how else to get her to come down.
Do you guys have any tips for this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I wouldn't give Kona a treat to get her off your head. That just gets she thinking that whenever she lands on your head she is going to get rewarded. Have you tried just ducking?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't give Kona a treat to get her off your head. That just gets she thinking that whenever she lands on your head she is going to get rewarded. Have you tried just ducking?
Okay that’s what I’ve been wondering. I duck or put my hands over my head when she’s coming, but she’s persistent and has gotten good at getting past that lol

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
That’s a tough one. Kiwi always landed on our heads, I guess because it was the highest point to land on us. I know what you mean about people not liking it and what worried me the most was the potential for a reaction of swatting her away. I did not try to train Kiwi out of it (I wouldn’t have known how honestly) but instead, I would either leave her in her cage when we had visitors or I would warn them that she could try to land on their heads and to please just remain calm and I would remove her. My daughter absolutely hated it (Kiwi would land and start biting her, likely in an attempt to drive her away LOL) but I ALWAYS announced when Kiwi was in flight so she knew to freeze until I located Kiwi, even if that location was on her head. Kona is likely biting because she doesn’t want to get down. I am sure it makes her feel powerful! Perhaps this is a quirk that you can explain to people and if they don’t live in your house, maybe leaving her in her cage if they’re uncomfortable is the safest option.

Reactions: Anya

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Okay that’s what I’ve been wondering. I duck or put my hands over my head when she’s coming, but she’s persistent and has gotten good at getting past that lol
They can be very persistent little things! lol Have you tried wearing your glasses on top of your head?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Making sure people know when she’s coming definitely is a good way to go, I’ve been worried before too about people swatting her!
Today I’ve been wearing a baseball cap with her and it’s worked well, she hasn’t shown an interest in getting on it and even if she did I could take it right off, hoping this will help break the habit!

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Making sure people know when she’s coming definitely is a good way to go, I’ve been worried before too about people swatting her!
Today I’ve been wearing a baseball cap with her and it’s worked well, she hasn’t shown an interest in getting on it and even if she did I could take it right off, hoping this will help break the habit!
I was going to mention a hat or scarf as an option. Rio went through a head stage for a bit. I put on a hat and my wife wore a scarf or headband for a week or two until he lost interest. Also wear shirts that he can get a hold of if he land on your shoulders. I think what happened with us was that he was shoulder landing then we started wearing shirts he could not get his claws into get a hold on and started trying heads. Once we changed the dynamic and made heads more of a challenge and shoulders easier he went back. Remember they are smart little things and what is bests for us/them from our point of view is not best for them from their point of view. When that happens you have to make it in their interest to do what you want.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to mention a hat or scarf as an option. Rio went through a head stage for a bit. I put on a hat and my wife wore a scarf or headband for a week or two until he lost interest. Also wear shirts that he can get a hold of if he land on your shoulders. I think what happened with us was that he was shoulder landing then we started wearing shirts he could not get his claws into get a hold on and started trying heads. Once we changed the dynamic and made heads more of a challenge and shoulders easier he went back. Remember they are smart little things and what is bests for us/them from our point of view is not best for them from their point of view. When that happens you have to make it in their interest to do what you want.
That sounds good. It’s been hot here so we’ve been wearing tank tops more often, so that could have something to do with it. A few days of hat wearing and she’s already losing interest and coming to our hands more, hoping it continues to work!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always thought Zelena believed my head was her "nest". She often searched around in my hair as though she was about to settle down. Her claws however can be painful to my scalp. So, I got a satiny sleep cap I put on which helps. Really don't mind her head nesting when I wear the cap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts