Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

FLIGHT - Age

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  AndreaFahy 
#1 ·
How old does my parrottlet have to be before she has full flight? I have a small dog and an indoor cat and they are way interested so I want her to be able to fly before letting her play on the top of her cage. Or maybe I will have to lock the other animals out of the room.

:confused:

#5 ·
it doesn't even take one bite, one lick and it could be the end. Dog, cat, human saliva is tainted with bacteria... bacteria that is toxic to birds.

My little Hpnotiq is only 1 month 8 days old and she tries to fly, but the breeder clipped her wings. Gelato is almost a year old, and I really can't remember a time he didn't fly and I've had hi since he was 5 weeks old.

#6 · (Edited)
It has to be supervised. My little dog doesn't pay any attention to Chipper until Chipper throws something to the floor to eat! My little dog is great with all animals. Each dog is different.

It would be so very sad if something happened, so be very careful. Lots of people have all kinds of pets, you just have to be careful.

#7 ·
Welcome to the site brmhldy -

Parrotlets fledge at the time they leave the nest and are ready to fly that young. The breeders sometimes cut their flight feathers before selling them and they don't begin to grow in again until the birds first molt at about 5 months. So by the time she is 6-7 months old she should be flighted again.

But as the others said - I would not leave the other animals in the room when the bird is out - flighted or not. Especially if they show any interested in the bird.

Just because the bird can fly won't save it. My dog and cat show no interest in my bird but I still don't trust that nothing could happen - the dog because he shows no interest is allowed in the room when the birds are out and I am in the room (well except as Sally said when they drop something he notices :) )
- the cat is not allowed in the room even though he shows absolutely no interest in them.

#10 ·
Not only is the dog, cat and human saliva copmlete with bacteria, the solution in cat saliva which they use to clean themselves is acutally toxic to birds.

CATS
Cats commonly have Pasteurella bacteria as part of their natural flora. While this bacteria is ubiquitous in cats and does them no harm, it is DEADLY to birds. Even if you cat just bats your bird or gets saliva on your bird, you could end up with a dead bird. Also, if you bird has a persistent problem with itching and other skin issues and you have a cat, this could be a cause and your vet should be asked to screen for this bacteria. If your bird is ever in a confrontation with a cat, take him to the vet immediately even if there are NO apparent wounds. The bird could still have been exposed to this bacteria. You should get your bird to a vet the same day if you think it has come in physical contact with a cat's saliva, feces, or food. This bacteria means even friendly relationships between cats and birds are not safe. Period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.