Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Just got my first parrotlet and my first bird in a long time. Her name is Ruby, she is 5 months old, and she was hand-fed by the breeder but from my understanding, was not socialized beyond that. My first bird was hand-fed and well socialized, so this is a new experience for me. This is my 3rd day with her. I have gotten her to feed out of my hands from behind the cage, that is as far as have gotten with her. I worry she is depressed, she hasn't played with any of her toys and spends all day in the exact same spot on top of her cage. She has been eating well (thankfully was raised on very healthy diet!) and her poops are abundant. She even eats when I'm around! She is so quiet and nervous still though, only rarely chirps. I had to remove a toy with foam in it because I was worried she would ingest it and now she wont eat out of my hand at all and is nervous around me. Is there anything more I can do for her? I spend nearly all day working in the same room as her, perhaps I should give her time to discover the cage on her own? I've heard different opinions on this topic. I think I just need some encouragement, or any tips to make her life better.

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site.
Sounds like you guys are starting off fairly well. Rudy is just getting used to you and being sure you are not a parrotlet eating monster. Just be around her, talk with her, let her watch you and she will figure it out. She wants to be friendly but that is a dangerous thing when you are a 5 inch tall bird that most things on the planet want to eat or casually hurt and you know that in their instincts. Given that and for the last 5 months she has been elsewhere and has now lost everything she has ever known. It takes a bit to get used to things but she will come around in time. Currently the big thing for you to do is try to find a good treat to be used in training. A treat they she will risk much for. With my Bo (past) it was sunflower seeds. With my Jules (past) it was walnut pieces. My current guy Rio it is a bit rough in that he is not that food oriented but sunflower and hemp seems to be working. Also with a new bird it is recommended to let them have millet available 24x7 at first. It is a good high energy comfort food. Sort of like chicken soup for the soul of a stressed bird.
Just take your time and let Rudy lead the way a bit. I know it seems slow but it will happen quickly enough in its own time. BTW-we love pics. So if you want to post some of Rudy we will love it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much Ozzie!
Gosh so much has happened in a week. Ruby ate millet through the cage and eventually let me put my hands in the cage while staying calm. We've started target training, and clicker training, both of which she has picked up on quickly. Now we are working on step-up! She's doing incredibly well!

I'm quickly realizing my bird is not an early bird, she is grumpy in the morning. I cannot do any training with her until about 3 pm or so. Is this typical? I take her cage cover off around 9 am, and she doesn't do much at all in her cage until way into the afternoon. I taught her to play with some toys (she likes shedding paper and chew on her mat toy), but again, not until later in the day. I was under the impression parrotlets were quite active? Is this just her personality?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thank you so much Ozzie!
Gosh so much has happened in a week. Ruby ate millet through the cage and eventually let me put my hands in the cage while staying calm. We've started target training, and clicker training, both of which she has picked up on quickly. Now we are working on step-up! She's doing incredibly well!

I'm quickly realizing my bird is not an early bird, she is grumpy in the morning. I cannot do any training with her until about 3 pm or so. Is this typical? I take her cage cover off around 9 am, and she doesn't do much at all in her cage until way into the afternoon. I taught her to play with some toys (she likes shedding paper and chew on her mat toy), but again, not until later in the day. I was under the impression parrotlets were quite active? Is this just her personality?
You've only had her a few days... it's take some time for her to get used to her new routine. My bird isn't much of a toy player, he does chew his toys sometimes but doesn't really play much. Just how he is, prefers to hang out with us or do trick training.
My bird likes his morning time alone or in his cage until lunchtime. In the morning he practices his words and phrases, and eventually decides he wants out. Nothing wrong with him, just how he is :) Maybe your parrotlet is a lone morning bird too. You'll have to go on their schedule, especially for training. If they don't want to do training at that time, you won't get too far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
you could play some bird chirping sounds to get her chirping, you could come around her talk to her ever day so she can get used to you, she might be scared of the toys or she doesn't like it. you could leave the cage door open to show that she doesn't have to stay in the cage. I don't have Parrotlets but I do have parakeets they were just like that when i first got them but with time and dedication there social loving birds who love to fly around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts