Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
My name is Charlie and I'm from the UK. I've been using the forum for over 5 years when I got my first little parrotlet Brucie. The forum as been so much help to me. I learned so many things from everyone on here and managed to sort any issues I had with Brucie and his behaviour with thanks to techniques I had learned on the forum.
Unfortunately my darling little bird died in early April and as you can imagine I am absolutely devastated. I've really struggled to deal with loosing him. The house is far too quiet without him and I feel like a parrotlet shaped hole is missing from my heart.
I've made the decision (with persuasion from my husband) to get a new baby parrotlet. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the breeder, but I'm hoping to bring him home in the next few weeks.
I thought it was time to join here as a member as I've got to start all over again with training and I'm a bit rusty.
Thanks for having me and I look forward to chatting to everyone as I learn how to deal with a new little dinosaur 馃榿

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry for your loss. Welcome to the posting side of the forum! We look forward to hearing all about your tiny dinosaur. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much, I'm so excited but nervous too.
It's lovely to be here and finally join in.

Registered
Welcome Charlie! I'm so sorry for the loss of Brucie, I know that must be awful. I'm glad we were able to help with him, and that you've decided to talk with us!

Super Moderator
Welcome to the more active part of the forum, we will be happy to have you explain your past and new parrotlet journey. We are all just trying to figure our way with our little feathered puzzle boxes.
Sorry to hear about Brucie, if you wish we have a section called the Rainbow Bridge where you can memorize Brucie and your life together.
Look forward to hearing more from you.

Reactions: Charlie

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the more active part of the forum, we will be happy to have you explain your past and new parrotlet journey. We are all just trying to figure our way with our little feathered puzzle boxes.
Sorry to hear about Brucie, if you wish we have a section called the Rainbow Bridge where you can memorize Brucie and your life together.
Look forward to hearing more from you.
Thank you so much for your reply. I'd like to tell Brucies story. I'm really missing him, it's so weird not having him around anymore. I'll go and see if I can find the thread.

Registered
Welcome, I went through the same thing in the fall. I did not realize how much I spoke to my guy until I was talking to my self and not getting answers/

I got a new guy in November and while he is great be prepared for a completely different bird lol. My guy who died was a little terror , my new guy is a sweetie and very quiet.

Best of luck to you in your new adventure!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome, I went through the same thing in the fall. I did not realize how much I spoke to my guy until I was talking to my self and not getting answers/

I got a new guy in November and while he is great be prepared for a completely different bird lol. My guy who died was a little terror , my new guy is a sweetie and very quiet.

Best of luck to you in your new adventure!
Aww I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for sharing with me.
Its so crazy how much we talk to them. It's little things like when I'm cutting peppers and I save the seeds and I realise there is no bird to give them to or when I come home and there's no screaming welcome. He was so funny and made me laugh so much, he could be so grumpy.
I am a bit worried about how the new bird will take to me. I'm so nervous and I'm not sure how I'll react to a new bird in Brucie's space. I shall let you know how things go when he arrives.

Registered
Aww I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for sharing with me.
Its so crazy how much we talk to them. It's little things like when I'm cutting peppers and I save the seeds and I realise there is no bird to give them to or when I come home and there's no screaming welcome. He was so funny and made me laugh so much, he could be so grumpy.
I am a bit worried about how the new bird will take to me. I'm so nervous and I'm not sure how I'll react to a new bird in Brucie's space. I shall let you know how things go when he arrives.
My guy who died was Huey the new guy is Sunshine. I spent many months calling the new guy Huesunshine lol. I'm getting better. I bet your new bird will just love you to pieces!

Registered
Hi, and welcome to the forum.....May I make a suggestion? Before you bring the little guy home, it would be a great help to you if you make sure the p'lett is hand fed and human friendly....not wild. This means he should be able to step up without flying away from you. This usually means that he was not fed only by his parents and humans had a part in weaning him. So many baby p'letts have been sold and they are not friendly at all, but the breeder will say things like " He steps up " or " He was hand raised! " Not all breeders will be so deceptive, but it is a good idea that you have an understanding that you specifically want a human friendly bird that will step up for you most of the time. You said you were a little bit rusty in training a p'lett, so if he steps up, you will be far ahead of him bonding with you. Just mention to the breeder that you want him to step up.

I can't wait to see a picture of the little guy.

David馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My guy who died was Huey the new guy is Sunshine. I spent many months calling the new guy Huesunshine lol. I'm getting better. I bet your new bird will just love you to pieces!
Haha, that's so sweet.
Yes I think it's going to be so hard getting out of the habit of saying "Brucie, good boy" to the new one. I really hope so, I like to think I'm a good bird Mum, fingers crossed. I'm too excited. The new one is only 8 weeks so I'm hoping it won't be long before the breeder will let me bring him home.

Registered
Hello and welcome to the forum! Lovely to have you join us!
I am very sorry that you lost Brucie, that is never easy. He sounded like a wonderful parrotlet. I like that he made you laugh when he was grumpy, mine does that to me too. I am glad you are getting another baby - you seem to have a good heart which is needed to give a bird a happy life. These guys need people like you. People who love them even when they are wee stinkers. ;) Please let us know when you get your new baby and be sure to post some pictures. We love baby pictures around here!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum! Lovely to have you join us!
I am very sorry that you lost Brucie, that is never easy. He sounded like a wonderful parrotlet. I like that he made you laugh when he was grumpy, mine does that to me too. I am glad you are getting another baby - you seem to have a good heart which is needed to give a bird a happy life. These guys need people like you. People who love them even when they are wee stinkers. ;) Please let us know when you get your new baby and be sure to post some pictures. We love baby pictures around here!
Thank you so much for the welcome. I'm honestly so excited to get a new baby bird. I've got new toys, even a new carry case (something I've never used before) all that's missing is the bird. I'm trying hard not to pester the breeder but I'm hoping it should in the next couple of weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts