Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! About a year ago my family and I got a parrotlet and we named him Henry, he seemed really sweet but ultimately he was shy. We tried handling him a lot thinking that's what you're supposed to do but all he did was nip at us (lightly) and when he does sit with us he wants to be on our shoulders but if we are close to his cage he flys back to it and wants to go back inside. After looking through here you guys all seem to be very helpful people and I was wondering if you could give me a few tips on how to proceed with him from here, he's so sweet and I really don't want him turning mean.

P.S He's probably a couple months over a year old, and we've had him for about a year. We would love to spend more time with him, but we have dogs who don't mix well with the birds (though they could care less about him when he's in his cage). Also, I don't know if this effects anything but we have a male cockatiel who is right beside him, they're about an inch apart and they adore each other.

Sorry if this seems kind of unclear, I was ramming all this information in. Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Hi Tatiana and welcome. First, we want pictures of little Henry and your cockatiel. We all love pictures around here.

Is there any food he simply can't resist, like millet? You can try coaxing him out of the cage with his favorite food, reserving it for the times you want to interact with him for now.

Also, if he likes to be back in his cage right away when he's out, try working with him in place where he can't see his cage so the temptation won't be there. Try a quiet place away from distractions; other people, dogs, etc.

Hope this info is helpful. I'm sure others will jump in and think of a hundred things I haven't thought of. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Hi actually Kpenquins is right. Working in a quiet space away from the cage is very helpful. Some birds are shy and letting them hang out your shoulder and getting their bearing helps a lot. Does he step up? Working on that and doing training in a quiet space can help in the bonding process and just sitting by the cage and talking to them also helps in the bonding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts