Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought our first baby parrotlet on Saturday at 7weeks old and she's beautiful. I want her too be tame and ideally bonded too me but of course I won't my husband too be able too handle her. I feel like we've made progress already even in just two days. She's eating fine and preening herself been moving around and exploring her cage, has been cherping etc she seems too enjoy a nice warm water spritz and then today she aloud me too have my hand in her cage and too be stood right by her food bowl with my hand on the outside of her cage while eating.
Are these all good signs too her settling in and bonding/trusting me??
I will attach a pic of my sweet girl...
IMG-20210328-WA0000.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
She’s beautiful! What’s her name? We too have a new seven week old baby.

It certainly sounds likes she’s calm around you.

What we’re doing with River is opening his cage and offering him a sprig of millet (it’s long so we’re not too close) and have gradually been inching our hold on the millet closer and closer and he doesn’t even realise! My husband even ended up with him perched on his hand yesterday 🙂

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Congratulations on your new parrotlet Birdie! It sounds like she is settling in well since you have had her for only 2 days and what you have described sounds positive. Regarding water for bathing, they actually prefer cold water, even ice cold water.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She’s beautiful! What’s her name? We too have a new seven week old baby.

It certainly sounds likes she’s calm around you.

What we’re doing with River is opening his cage and offering him a sprig of millet (it’s long so we’re not too close) and have gradually been inching our hold on the millet closer and closer and he doesn’t even realise! My husband even ended up with him perched on his hand yesterday 🙂
Hi her name is birdie... Means small bird!! Is river your first bird?? We tied a bit of millit through the bars before she went so I think irl just have too carry on doing what I am

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's sweet.
River is our second parrotlet. Willow was our first but she passed way suddenly earlier this year. She was blue too. I always think blue is so fairylike and magical.

Willow had a really cold bath once, and it was so cold she clicked her annoyance, it was really funny!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's sweet.
River is our second parrotlet. Willow was our first but she passed way suddenly earlier this year. She was blue too. I always think blue is so fairylike and magical.

Willow had a really cold bath once, and it was so cold she clicked her annoyance, it was really funny!
Ohhh bless her... Its because of the personality they have that made me gravitate towards the breed...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations on your new parrotlet Birdie! It sounds like she is settling in well since you have had her for only 2 days and what you have described sounds positive. Regarding water for bathing, they actually prefer cold water, even ice cold water.
Ohhh that's surprising I just assumed being a tiny bird the cold would shock their systems too much.. Didn't even think too reserch that first. Thanks though I'm really happy with how it's going so far really looking forward too her coming out and exploring her new world some more.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hello and welcome to the form! Congratulations on getting your first parrotlet. How exciting! Baby parrotlets are sooo adorable!! Birdie is really beautiful and she has the sweetest little face! It sounds like she is doing amazing well for just being with you for a couple of days - and yes, she is definitely showing the signs that she is happy in her new home. :) A lot of baby birds like it if you sit next to their cage and sing, read or just talk to them. It helps them to bond with you. You will be amazed how quickly she learns things - they are so smart. With time, more of her personality will come out and you are going to be amazed at all the wonderful things she can do. Let us know how she is doing and if you have any questions, feel free to ask! We will do our best to help you! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello and welcome to the form! Congratulations on getting your first parrotlet. How exciting! Baby parrotlets are sooo adorable!! Birdie is really beautiful and she has the sweetest little face! It sounds like she is doing amazing well for just being with you for a couple of days - and yes, she is definitely showing the signs that she is happy in her new home. :) A lot of baby birds like it if you sit next to their cage and sing, read or just talk to them. It helps them to bond with you. You will be amazed how quickly she learns things - they are so smart. With time, more of her personality will come out and you are going to be amazed at all the wonderful things she can do. Let us know how she is doing and if you have any questions, feel free to ask! We will do our best to help you! :)
Hi thanks for the reply. I stand an talk directly too her several times throughout the day and evening till she falls asleep at 6. Iv also got a toddler who's 15mths in a few day, I'm constantly talking too him trying too teach him the normal toddler words singing songs making funny sounds and reading books too him. Will birdie benifit from hearing all that aswell?? Even tho it's not directed at her?! And I read that if they are being left alone they like having the t.v or radio on?? Shall I do that if I'm out for the day???

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Yes, Birdie will also benefit from you talking, reading, singing, and interacting with your toddler! Some people do choose to leave the TV or a radio on if their bird is alone while they are out working or doing things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, Birdie will also benefit from you talking, reading, singing, and interacting with your toddler! Some people do choose to leave the TV or a radio on if their bird is alone while they are out working or doing things.
Probably sounded like an obvious question, I think I'm going too be one of those an9bird owners who needs too know the answer for every single little thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts