Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I checked on the eggs and I saw a baby chick!! :)
It is sooo tiny and cute!

I noticed that the egg shells where around , should I move the egg shells or just let it be?

Is it wise to handle the baby chick or wait until it's older?

After all the chicks hatch, how often do I have to clean the nest box? Or should I change it after half of the clutch has hatched?

I'm so happy that one has hatched and seems healthy!!!

Any help would be helpful! :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't know anything about breeding, but wanted to tell you congrats !! That is so exciting ! I look forward to future posts on their progress and pictures :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know anything about breeding, but wanted to tell you congrats !! That is so exciting ! I look forward to future posts on their progress and pictures :D
Thanks!!
I will try later on to take pictures of the new chick. :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hmm.. I don't have that much experience but [absolutely no baby touching for the first couple weeks otherwise the mother might kill them.] Also, don't fret too much and leave the nesting box be.

Not sure about the cleaning - I never cleaned mine and wild birds don't have anyone to clean their nest.

CONGRATS ON THE BABY! Must be so exciting!

Edit: Italics part not accurate, see below to M'éanín's Mommy's post

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Wow very exciting! I would not bother the mother and babies for awhile until everyone is hatched. But I am sure someone with a lot more knowledge will come along and help you.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
WOW........how very cool!!!! :)

I've helped out breeders of other kinds of parrots before and basically speaking they left the nests alone until it was time to shift toward hand-feeding and weaning...they let the parents tend to things.

I wish you the best of luck with the new babies...it's so exciting!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hmm.. I don't have that much experience but absolutely no baby touching for the first couple weeks otherwise the mother might kill them. Also, don't fret too much and leave the nesting box be.

Not sure about the cleaning - I never cleaned mine and wild birds don't have anyone to clean their nest.

CONGRATS ON THE BABY! Must be so exciting!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Umm...this isn't accurate. Babies are close banded around 7-10 days, that doesn't happen without touching the chicks. I have several friends who are breeding birds and know 5 who breed P'lets in my immediate area. They all have their own system, some will pull entire clutch all at same time and others pull a few babies at a time. I've also handled wild birds, mourning doves who have nested in my window boxes. I've been able to handle both the parents and the chicks and have not once seen a chick be rejected.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Umm...this isn't accurate. Babies are close banded around 7-10 days, that doesn't happen without touching the chicks. I have several friends who are breeding birds and know 5 who breed P'lets in my immediate area. They all have their own system, some will pull entire clutch all at same time and others pull a few babies at a time. I've also handled wild birds, mourning doves who have nested in my window boxes. I've been able to handle both the parents and the chicks and have not once seen a chick be rejected.

Ooo that's new to me. I had budgies that laid eggs before and I once touched one of the chicks and the next day she was dead so I assumed it was because the mother panicked. I guess gentle baby touching is allowed.

Sorry for the wrong info!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Wow! Congratulations! That is such exciting news - thank you for sharing! Can't wait to see photos! I have only ever had one parrotlet so I can't help but you have already got good advice and undoubtedly more to come. So exciting!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Congratulations ! I have no experience with tiny babies that are just hatched. But I do remember people that have , saying they don't pull the babies for 2 weeks. Also you might want to google your question on newly hatched babies. I hope they all are healthy , can't wait for pictures.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'm so happy and excited for you! I know it is tempting and you want to get in there and touch the little one, but unless there is some obvious problem or you need to pull the chicks early if the parents are not feeding them, I would let Mom and Dad just enjoy being Mom and Dad. I have touched Skye's chicks as early as a week old (to check fertility of the remaining eggs) with no ill effects, but Skye is completely OK with my intrusions. It depends on the birds themselves and how comfortable they are with you intruding.

If you are going to hand feed and have never done it before, the age of between 2 and 2 1/2 weeks is a good starting point. The chick'lets are more sturdy so you will feel more comfortable handling them. If you intend to let the parents feed them and keep them warm, 2 1/2 to 3 weeks is a good age to start your short socializing sessions.

As far as cleaning goes, it probably is not necessary at all, but in my experience even with 8 chick'lets at a time messing in the box, all that seemed to be necessary was to add a little fresh bedding. (I think this was mainly for my benefit.... the birds didn't seem to care one way or the other.) But also since I would remove 4 early on, it really was never a problem,

All the best and have fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your response!

I was finally able to take a picture of the babies

All six eggs hatched and look healthy.. :)

3 of them have their eyes open...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Awww, congrats! You're such a good mommy! My awaiting chick is probably older than yours by a week and are still featherless :)

Can you like post a picture weekly so we can see the progress :)

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Oh how sweet! Love those little pteradactyls.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts