Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm taking my baby for a first check-up. She's about 4.5 months old.

Do you have any suggestions for some questions to ask on a first visit?

Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
What's a good weight for her? What food does he recommend? Any supplements required? What tests, if any, does he recommend and how often and how much do they cost (prices vary a ton)? How do you clip a parrotlet's wings (very good to know)?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Let the vet know what your baby's diet consists of and ask if it's good or needs tweaking.

Reactions: kpenguins48

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question - what's the best way to transport her? The doctor is about 40 minutes away. It's about 24 degrees C outside.

I have a 11"x18"X15" cage for traveling. Is that too big? Should I put a towel at the bottom of the cage? Should I bring water with me? Should I cover the cage with something?

Lots of questions.. I know..

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
I always travel with water and millet at least, and sometimes normal food. 40 minutes each way plus the time at the doctors is too long for no food and water especially for a young bird.

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
One more question - what's the best way to transport her? The doctor is about 40 minutes away. It's about 24 degrees C outside.

I have a 11"x18"X15" cage for traveling. Is that too big? Should I put a towel at the bottom of the cage? Should I bring water with me? Should I cover the cage with something?

Lots of questions.. I know..
That is about the same size travel cage that I use. It works fine for us. Water splashes when moving around so I tend to put watery veggies, fruit in for the trip. Carrots, Broccoli, apples and such. Also travel can be stressful. Millet is good for a stressed parrotlet, it is a comfort food, so I always travel with some in the cage. Also has the added benefit of training them to like the travel cage.

I went over my cage with cable ties to reinforce it. We have had several members over the years birds get loose because the cage came apart while moving it around. I also use twist ties to lock all doors and gates closed for same reason.

I always have a cage cover available but usually don't need it. It will depend on how you bird likes travel. If it scares or panics her then cover the cage up. If it is windy or cold then cover up. If your vet makes you wait around other animals like dogs and cats then cover up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts