Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd let y'all know that I am finally going to get my little boy, Froot Loop today! :D He will come home with me tomorrow night... (we have a 6 hour drive home :(). I'm sooo excited!!! Any suggestions for the car ride?? I will update when we make it home! -spasticat

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congrats!! How old is the little guy? When I brought baby home she was only a month old and my girlfriend and her sister took turns holding her in their hands. She didn't want to be alone so that's why they held her. She cuddled up in the little towel and slept most of the way.

Good luck with the little guy!! I'm excited for you!!!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
If it were me, I would have a nice travel cage and cover it half way. That is a long trip. I would stop every hour and offer water and food. Maybe just let the bird have a quiet time with no car movement for a few minutes, then start again. Play quiet music, keep the car from getting too cold. (I like to have the AC on HIGH, ha)

Maybe have the cage on a pile of towels to keep the cage from moving a lot with the car movements.

Hope you get more ideas. How exciting!!!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Congratulations Spasticat – how exciting :)

I just picked up my P’let last weekend so the long car ride is still fresh in my mind J

Cindy had some good ideas – I also think it would be best to leave him in the cage – He will settle down quicker if left in one place – plus there is a danger of him getting spooked and getting away from you and end up under a seat or worse – under the car pedals :eek:

Each Parrotlet is different in the car– the little girl P’let I picked up last weekend was very timid and hardly moved – on the other hand, my Boy Parrotlet absolutely loves car rides and acts totally normal in the car – eats, drinks, plays, swings everything he normally does – the little girl just sat in one spot.

So I clipped a spray of millet and a water tube right next to where she was sitting and she did eat and drink along the way – so I would do that for your guy.

Also keep any hanging toys out of the cage – basically anything that will rattle or shake – I left in the cages bottom grate and wish I hadn’t – it rattled the whole trip – I’d take that out too :p

I’d just leave a couple of perches – water and millet in the cage and like Cindy said – cover three sides of the cage with a towel and one for under the cage. Come to think of it, it might be a good idea to put an old towel on the cage floor in case he falls.

Congrats again – can’t wait to see some pics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts