Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Saturday, I FINALLY get to pick up Kai ^^ I'm tres excited!

So just a few final questions with cage preparations.

So I have everything set up, toys and all... but I do remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't have too many toys in the cage until the bird settles in? True or False?
Also is newspaper safe if the bird nibbles on it? I'm really hesitant to have newspaper at the bottom of the cage, but I haven't been able to find a grate ANYWHERE nor do I know what on earth I could use as a substitute. Any suggestions? Comments about newspaper?
Right now I was planning on keeping the water in a dish that is hanging on the side of the cage. Should I have a dish at the bottom of the cage? Do you suggest the use of water tubes? I heard they can get all cloggy and stuff.
How Long should I let the bird settle in before I can handle him?

Well I think that is it for now :) Can't wait to see your responses. Two more days!!!

:D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Good Luck!

RE Newspapers: i've heard all sorts of opinions but we've used them for 8 years and our birds are still healthy.

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well if your concerned about newspaper just use paper towels that will work fine. I don't have a grate either and I use dinner napkins if I'm out of paper towels. About the tube waterer, maybe use what he's been doing and offer that on the side just in case he doesn't want to drink from it don't you think? He's gonna be watching you like a little hawk. If it was me I would sing and talk and sit close and let him see your face and learn it and slowly offer yourself to him. Everyone will tell you, he's gonna be real curious about you. And this is my last thought...you want him to fall in love with you so slow and steady always wins CONGRATS and GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have no idea where my post went!

Do you have a really large cage? 1/2 inch spacing for bars. BIG is good for them.

I use paper towels on my grate in the cage. I hear that newspapers are fine.

I use to use a tube like water thing. I hated it. Hard to clean every day. I use a large water bowl now, attaches to cage. Easy to clean. She can bathe if she wants also.

Do you have rope perches, swings etc?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Oh yay, it's been a long enough wait for you!

I wouldn't overwhelm him with TOO many toys at this point. Just introduce them to him slowly as he begins to settle in more.

I haven't personally used the water tubes on Nemo but imagine they'd be really hard to clean since they're so slim. I already have problems getting into and cleaning my rabbit's water bottle, which is way bigger. The dishes used to sit near the bottom of the cage but then I found that he dirtied them up quicker that way with his droppings. So I'm using dishes that hang higher up now.

Keep us posted and can't wait to see pictures!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Where did my post go? I'll try again -

Not sure how long you should wait to handle him - but I will share with you what I did that worked very well with Bitsy. When he first came home, I put my hand in the cage and offered him a bite of yummy food (millet, apple, scrambled egg, bagel, etc.). Each time I would say "Bitsy! look what I have for you!". He became used to my hand in the cage because each time I had something good for him. It worked for us!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yay he is home!!!!
The owner actually said he is Ok to handle right away, and he was more than willing to come out of his cage and play. He is taking a little nap right now, oooh he is soooo cute! I'll post pictures later.

Question, how long until they grow all their feathers in? He is 10 weeks old (about) and he still is missing feathers around his neck/chest area. Is this something I should be worried about?

·
Registered
794 Posts
A tiny baby, he will grow his feathers it won't be long...welcome home Kai your mother's been waiting for you. Have a wonderful time with him and give he the best home he could ever have. Have a fabulous Sunday with him!!!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I do not know how long the feathers take, I think it would not take too long.

Great about handling him. Chipper is such a sweetie. She is out with me now and I bet your baby will want to be with you all of the time. Once you get a good bond, it will be so much fun.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm... he has a strange habit of putting his leg over his wing and just sitting on one leg. It's kind of weird. He's done it with both legs (like one at a time... not together) so I don't think its anything to be concerned about...
Sorry I don't really know how to resize pics...

The last one is a really bad pic of him doing that leg thing... You can just slightly see it through the bars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts