Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since one of the most common requests is help figuring out the sex of a parrotlet, I thought it would be a good idea for us to create a visual guide of our guys for people to compare theirs to.

So post pictures of your fids that clearly (as possible) show their backs and wings, especially the side of their wings. Be sure to state the gender, coloring (best guess), and also bird's country of origin because I think there are some different colorings in some countries.

Here's Tumi. He's male, a yellow, and from the U.S.

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
Great idea!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Green lucida female (note the lack of blue on the wings, but presence of blue rump and teal eye streak):

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Great photos, all so beautiful. I thought the coloring by the eye indicates a male. It's the wings that reveal the sex?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
They are pretty Jinx. I am scared to try that wing extension tho:(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I wouldn't recommend it if you're not comfortable with it. It's how I trim bird wings when I have to. So it's generally easy enough for me to do it and they're comfortable with it. I only get a couple of seconds for the pic. You notice that Wasabi's pic wasn't as nice, he wouldn't let go of the towel and it made me holding him awkward!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Lol, I thought you were choking him for a minute! He has that "OMG" look!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Is this a male or female?
This lady replied to me saying she's got a blue male (has never been sexed) and sent me pictures of his wings. I feel like it's a female cause the blue isn't a lot. He/She was supposed to be a breeder but wasn't interested in breeding so became a pet. He's semi tame, steps up and all and is friendly and chats, but he's not the hand fed type tame.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts