Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have had my two Blue Winged Parrotlets for about three months and they settled in well. We listen to a lot of happy Mexican music together and they sing along with enthusiasm! They were sold to me as a bonded pair from a pet shop I have known a long time. However, I have suspected from the start I have two boys as they both have Blue wings. All has been well with what seemed an equal amount of facing off and toe nipping mostly over food and they stick together all the time grooming and seeming to be sweet to each other. Suddenly yesterday they were fighting a lot and chasing around the room. So when they started again this morning I immediately put one back in the big cage and kept the other out. That did not work! as 'Feisty' on the outside wanted to continue to bully sweet natured 'Tuesday' from outside the cage. So I experimented with swopping them around and it was like magic! no more yelling and they got on with their own routines. I put them back together before bedtime and they were fine.

Here is my question. Will they now always be like this or do I have a chance to get a good balance again with only occasional separations?

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Welcome Peek-a-boo! Your Pacific Parrotlets are very cute. As you have seen, parrotlets are an aggressive species, and can nip at toes and hog food/water dishes to prevent the other from getting access to them. That is why it is recommended to house them separately, but they can have supervised out of cage time, if they get along. Even bonded pairs have been known to kill or injure a mate.

They will probably always be like this and I would recommend separating them into cages that are placed side by side.

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
Hello and Welcome! Such cuties! Jackie has given you good advice, parrotlets are agressive by nature and don't like to share. It's pretty essential for this species to have their own separate cages to avoid fighting, bullying or injury's. Because they are bonded however they will still enjoy supervised play time outside of their cages daily of course! You may even be able to open both cages and allow them to freely hang out in one or both as they choose but it depends on the birds. Fur the majority if the time and at the end of the day they should have their own designated space.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hello and welcome! Your boys are so cute - I love the greenies. :) You have been given good sound advice by both Jackie and MrsJP3. Please put them in separate cages as soon as you can. There are red flags waving that you should not ignore. With one of your birds being more on the aggressive side, there is a good indication that things could turn ugly if you do not separate them and keep a watchful eye on them whenever they are outside their cages together. If the one remains aggressive, then you may have to take them out separately and to a neutral area - away from their cages which they can be very possessive about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts